Salad dressings

scarla67
scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
Anyone have recipe for healthy salad dressings? I just made one with lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, pepper, hearty mustard. So good but so high in cslories and fat.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I use hot sauce. 5 calories.
  • scarla67
    Fooey, I don't like hot but great idea.
  • mkyoungdds
    mkyoungdds Posts: 33 Member
    It's a store bought one, but I love the Bolthouse dressings. Particularly the Salsa Ranch, but they have lots of flavors. It's only 45 calories for 30 g and it's delicious! I also buy the Panera Poppyseed dressing. It's 25 cal for 30 g. Both of them are located in the refrigerated produce section.
  • scarla67
    Thanks so much that sounds great. When the Farmers market opens up here the leaf lettuce is so good I don't need dressing but for now really want some. I went 25 over my fat intake today, salad dressing and cooked with olive oil and I do want to do better. I would hate to know my fat intake when i wasnt psying attention! Yikes!
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    I use 1 tbsp dijon for a huge salad. 15 calories and soooo good.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    I put red wine vinegar on Greek salad (cucumber, tomato, feta, olives, red onion,) and that's all I need
  • scarla67
    That sounds good, tks
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited April 2018
    Soy sauce turns a lot of salads without cheese into something pretty good.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Salad greens tend to have a bitter taste.
    Fat from oils works to reduce the bitterness. Fat in salad is also important that it aid the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins from your greens. When I have a salad at home, and that is not scheduled to happen again, I simply add a teaspoon of olive oil and a tablespoon or so of some vinegary substance, maybe even pickle juice.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Minced shallots, white balsamic vinegar, olive oil & honey to taste
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2018
    I use a packet of ranch dressing mix, a cup of buttermilk and a cup on nonfat Greek yogurt.

10 servings (45 grams)
    Calories 36
    Total Fat 1 g
    Total Carbohydrate 4 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 3 g
  • bettybutane
    bettybutane Posts: 2 Member
    I don't know if this might have too much fat in it for you but I love cold pressed rapeseed oil. I mix it with some generic Italian Herb mix (I get mine from Marks & Spencer and it's yummy) then put it over raw greens and it turns them into a delicious mix!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    SE Asian salad dressings contain no oil. Here is an example
    https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/vietnamese-salad-dressing/231c5f62-3a53-4daa-b61d-cc7060e625aa

A dressing I like that uses less oil than classic vinaigrette (3 parts oil to 1 part lemon) is 1 part each of soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, nut oil.

Buttermilk ranch is pretty low fat. Use the smaller quantity of sour cream and mayo.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342.html
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    My favorite lately is about a tablespoon of creme fraiche, with a squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper. A little goes a long way. I use it over a huge bed of spinach with chopped apple. I put in a tupperware and give it a good shake so the dressing gets on the spinach. I'm addicted to it. My fave way to get those greens in.
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    Balsamic vinegar and vinaigrettes
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    I just mix olive oil with lemon or with (balsamic) vinegar, and a bit of salt. If the oil is good, you just need a bit of that (one teaspoon of olive oil, 5gr, is 45 cals, and is usually enough for a large salad)
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2018
    I mix ranch dressing with salsa to keep the calories low. I don't like vinegar.
  • mmariev14
    mmariev14 Posts: 10 Member
    I also had a hard time finding a low cal, low fat dressing to stick to. I wanted to do store bought, but all the "light" dressings had an awful taste. Then i found out that olive garden sells their Italian dressing in lite in the grocery store! Literally tastes 99% identical to the original. For 2 tbsn, 30 cal, 2 g fat, 2 carb. It's all I use now and I'm obsessed :)
  • Mindcook
    Mindcook Posts: 11 Member
    Maybe the question is how heavy to dress your salad. I find that tossing the salad well will decrease your use of dressing. For a bowl of greens I use a base of 1 tbsp EVOO and add lime juice or wine vinegar in a 3:1 ratio. You can also add a little water to this. To this base you can add a little creole mustard, or low fat yogurt, or use it just like this. If you add some chopped dill or cilantro to the salad it will enhance the flavor. In a medium size bowl add the dressing to the greens and toss really well. Serve (this will serve one or two). I use some black pepper and occasionally a little salt. I don't recommend placing the greens on a plate and adding dressing, you end up using too much and the flavors don't mix well. If you are taking a salad to work use a tight fitting tupperware and bring the dressing separate, add when you are ready to eat, close the container and shake really well.
  • JoanJanis
    JoanJanis Posts: 9 Member
    Last night I used a recipe off the website of Dr. McDougall. You begin with a box of silk tofu, add lemon juice, garlic, 1/3 c chopped basil, a 1/2 tsp dry mustard. Blend. Awesome. Keeps for a week. That website is full of fat-free dressings and gravies that are wonderful and keep you on your goals.