Ok now that I've started where do I start?

Options
I'm tracking food now. There are so many that say exercise 60 minutes, only do strength training, only do cardio. Don't start exercising yet. What is the right answer? Is it worth it to hire a coach?

Replies

• lazynwild
    lazynwild Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do what your body loves :)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Great progress. Food intake is 90 percent of the battle.
    Exercise is great. Different goals can result in different plans. So do you have a goal?
    No clear goal then I would try to add in 30 min 3 days a week and have one of those 30 min a week be trying a new form of movement, run, walk, hike ,swim ,sail,yoga whatever until you find something you enjoy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Most would probably say your overall exercise routine should contain a mixture of both cardio and strength training in a personal blend that suits your particular goals and enjoyment.

Hard to understand why anyone would say "don't start exercising yet".

Hire what kind of coach for what purpose? The question is too generic without knowing your goals and specific reason why you would benefit from one.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    I think if you start listening to the average Joe/Jane out on the street they will be more than happy to give you "advice" on everything from exercise to investments strategies.

My suggestion? Do what you love, have a bit of discipline about it: prosper.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The single most important thing for overall health is consistency. Develop a diet you can stick to and choose a way to move your body that you can look forward to.

Ideally, that diet will include lots of veggies, plenty of protein and healthy fats. In a perfect world, the exercise will include strength, cardio and flexibility.

But we don't live in a perfect world, we just need to do our best and make improvements here and there.
  • BeckyWTGH407
    BeckyWTGH407 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My ulitmate goal is to lose 40 pounds. IDK if a fitness coach would help. I just have no idea where to start. There is so much online.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My ulitmate goal is to lose 40 pounds. IDK if a fitness coach would help. I just have no idea where to start. There is so much online.

My thoughts are keep it simple to start. You're already logging, so maybe add in a walk (or bike ride, or swim) a few times a week and some simple toning exercises. Where you begin depends on your current fitness level. Maybe it's a slow stroll around the block and 5 wall push-ups or a 5 mile speed walk with 3 sets of various planks.

You don't *need* to do anything, but extra activity will help your body look better, not just change the number on the scale.

Best of luck!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you still confused?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Losing 40lbs of fat doesn't require exercise. Only a calorie deficit. A fitness coach can help you with fitness and nutrition but losing fat all comes down to calories.