Logging in weight

Options
jenmicari
jenmicari Posts: 2 Member
How often do you log your weight? Daily or weekly?

Replies

• bertabugg
    bertabugg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Was doing it once a week until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to track it in weightgrapher.com. I wanted to get an idea of how my weight fluctuates.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a number and data freak so I'll actually weigh myself several times a day. I'll weigh myself right before I go to bed (I'm fascinated to see weight loss that occurs while I sleep) and really I'll jump on the scale any time I find myself in the bathroom and suitably undressed just because I'm curious. I don't record, pay attention or even remember these numbers once I step off the scale.

I properly weigh in every morning first thing after using the facilities. That daily weight gets recorded and entered into the tracking excel workbook I've created that does a whole bunch of functions and formulas for me (averages, trends, tracking, graphs, etc).

Each Sunday the spreadsheet gives me my 'weekly' weight which is calculated from the daily weigh ins recorded and this is the number I put into MFP as my "Official" weigh in.

That said, you've got to find what works for you. This works for me because I'm hugely analytical and just LOVE data points. I'm also completely emotionally detached from the number on the scale. I can see a number that is several kg heavier than previous and it doesn't upset me in the slightest as, to me it's just another interesting data point. Doing what I do would likely drive many people insane and have them reaching for the bottle (or the cupcake) and for them weekly, monthly or even using a measuring tape instead of a scale might work better. Where as if I tried to only weigh weekly or monthly It would send me off the deep end =)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I weigh about every two months. I am happier this way.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning before breakfast. I log it into the Happy Scale app, because I love how the graph uses some type of moving average and it usually looks like I'm making good weight loss progress. I try to add it to MFP every other day or so. I like seeing how my weight fluctuates and so now if I gain a pound of water weight I don't freak out, I know that it's a transitory thing.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When I go to a medical facility or when I hit a new goal on the gym scale (which always reads higher that the dr's.)
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I weight daily so I log daily. I weight myself everyday because I like seeing the trends of my weight, how it fluctuates and when. I thought about logging weekly, but I wouldn't know which weight to use and I'm not a huge math fan, so I find it easier to log everyday, when I open the app to log my breakfast I also log the weight.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Daily, I like the data.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    daily .. the data is good and has helped me understand whats going on with my body
  • bryant1969
    bryant1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I log every day
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I weigh myself every day when I wake up. It's very interesting to have that data. You will learn a lot about your body. For example On Sunday I was 161.8. On Monday I was 164.5, and Tuesday 166.0. 3 days later I am back down to 161.6. I think it's good to see the water fluctuations in your body to better understand what causes them and know what's normal.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I weigh every few days and log it into my Libra app. I would weigh daily but I don't always remember until I'm already dressed. I prefer to weigh first thing in the morning before getting dressed or eating anything. I like that my app averages my weight and shows me if I'm trending up or down. I log it to MFP approximately weekly.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I've basically stopped weighing myself... maybe once every few months, but I focus more on measurements than I do weight numbers.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    It's really your preference. I weigh almost daily, but only record a loss. Some say I'm 'cheating' by not logging the weight fluctuations but it helps keep me motivated...I want to be able to log another loss.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I log my weight no more than 1x a week; can't cope with small losses/gains each day can bring - weekly seems to give me a good idea of progress. I do sneak a peak at the scales most mornings but really wish I could break the habit ;)
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Daily here. Record the data in the Libra app. The trend line showing anticipated loss keeps me on track.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I log once a day.. If I don't lose, I leave alone for a few days...
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Once a week....any more messes with my head and behaviors!