Feeling like I want to eat constantly, HELP

Options
Hey guys,

For the past 2 weeks, i have been spiraling out of control. As soon as I get home, I start eating and I don't stop until the time to go bed. I rummage through all my pantry, fridge, and shelves. I have ordered take out right after i've had dinner. I've lost track of how many calories is in everything I eat, because literally, I'm eating everything. I think my mind goes out of my body and only focuses on what I can eat next. I'm not hungry, in fact i'm so full that I feel slightly nauseous, but regardless I want to stuff my face.
Over the past few months I've gained 20+pounds and its so scary where this is going. Please help, how do I stop myself?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

For the past 2 weeks, i have been spiraling out of control. As soon as I get home, I start eating and I don't stop until the time to go bed. I rummage through all my pantry, fridge, and shelves. I have ordered take out right after i've had dinner. I've lost track of how many calories is in everything I eat, because literally, I'm eating everything. I think my mind goes out of my body and only focuses on what I can eat next. I'm not hungry, in fact i'm so full that I feel slightly nauseous, but regardless I want to stuff my face.
    Over the past few months I've gained 20+pounds and its so scary where this is going. Please help, how do I stop myself?

Probably eating your feelings?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Figure out why it is happening. Have you been eating too little/poorly? Are you stressed, anxious, depressed?

And keep in mind that wanting to eat, and eating, are two different things.
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat as much as I want of low carb stuff, bacon, steaks. broccoli with cheese, etc. It's not healthy to do this very long but it seems to reset me so I don't crave cokes, pasta, cracker, etc. Drink your water. If you have to, bargain with yourself - I can have food after one glass of water, or after I go outside and walk the dog. So many times my body wants water but I don't realize it because I stuff myself with foid. Focus on what you can have
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Have you been agressively dieting in the past few months?
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Right there with you, and for me, it's stress eating. And I don't even notice how much I've eaten until there is no more left. Literally. Like, where did that entire can of almonds just go?

If only I could binge eat carrots or celery.

Anyway, I know I'm going through some things here, and I am slowly sorting through it all. Are you dealing with some stress, too?

• eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I’m the same too and I’ve been considering reaching out to either therapist or nutritionist.
    But I’m afraid they’re not going to be helpful and at the end, you are the one who has 100% control of your life.

I read books & research on binge eating/ compulisve eating/ emotional eating and so far out of all the tips, the most helpful one is to eat like I’m not on a diet. So when I’m stressed, when my days are not going well, or I’m having problems in my life, I don’t want to focus on diet because it gives me extra pressure. I don’t eat according to my calorie deficit, instead I eat 3 balanced meals a day. Because my mental health is way more important. If I’m not mentally healthy, everything falls apart.

I want to meet you and give you a big hug. I’m sure you can go through this.
  • staci2476
    staci2476 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I eat out of boredom. I'm learning to do something else instead. Perhaps find another outlet. Maybe going to the gym, clean the house, read a book. I have a heavy bag that I kick the *kitten* out of when I'm frustrated.
  • Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me reading a book would not work. I would just pair it with food right now I am waiting for lunch which is not healthy. Plan to run errand and keep busy
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You’re definitely not hungry when you get back in the house?
    I did similar and put on 30lbs before I decided to take back control. I would try and busy yourself with a hobby or meet up with friends in the evening. Get into the mindset that everything which passes your lips gets logged....even if it’s bites of this and that and you think it’s going to turn into a binge.
  • Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ran my errand got back at lunchtime ate too much, still hungry trying to raise up my hands to say its just that kind of day. will log all though
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie deficit too aggressive? Maybe change to a slower rate of loss or dial back some exercise.
    Are you getting enough nutrients? Fats, protein, fruits or vegetables? Are you binging on foods you restricted from your diet?
    Are you stressed out, bored, angry, sad and using food? You might try different ways to cope including professional counseling if you need it.
    Are you getting enough sleep?
    You might get a medical check up to see if you have anything going on.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I can so relate! For me it's a combination of letting myself get too too hungry, and also being alone. I never eat like that with others. Can you keep a high protein, high fat snack handy to eat a half hour before you get home? And have a friend over for dinner, or chat on the phone? Sorry if these sound lame.
  • runnu
    runnu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I stress eat, so that’s my trigger. First step is accepting you need to comfort yourself somehow. When you do eat, try to forgive yourself. Or maybe think about a special way to treat yourself that’s not food, like a bath, walk, a bike ride, etc?
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My work is travel and I thought I had done okay until I logged it all in. 120 calories over. Lesson learned - log as I eat it and I cannot be trusted with sweets or popcorn, even if it is low cal. Thank God for Wenys chilli when I travel.
  • Santura
    Santura Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    staci2476 wrote: »
    I eat out of boredom. I'm learning to do something else instead. Perhaps find another outlet. Maybe going to the gym, clean the house, read a book. I have a heavy bag that I kick the *kitten* out of when I'm frustrated.

I suffer from this too although I'm not as good at combatting it because I generally multitask eating while doing something else x.x ugh...

Anyway, it sounds like you need to see a therapist about this because it sounds like an actual disorder. You need to find the source of the problem and fix it. Fix the problem and your eating habits should get better.