feeling defeated

Options
About a month ago I was on a serious mission to lose 15 pounds. I got down to 151 (goal was 140) and then I got sick. The infection was misdiagnosed and I ended up being on medication for a month, with little energy, and overall exhaustion. I just got better this week and have been working out again, but for the first time in about 6 weeks.
Over the course of the 6 weeks I actually didn't gain much weight.....about 3 pounds. Then on the weekend I had an anniversary with my husband, and I ate and drank alot more than I usually would (usually drink nothing at all). On Friday I weighed 154 and on Monday I weighed 159. Today (Thursday) I weigh 157.
I FEEL different, I FEEL horrible. My stomach is bloated and huge, my clothes arent even fitting the same.
I know how to lose weight but after working so hard and now being up 6 pounds I am just devastated. I feel scared I cant do it again.
Is weight gain gradual? I just dont understand how this all seemed to happen at once. I really want to get back to 151 but I feel scared and so frustrated. :(

Replies

• kysassyblonde1
    Options
    you have to set your mind to it and not let yourself be defeated. Last week I went on vacation and gained 10 whole pounds in one week. I expected to gain a few pounds but not 10, the old me would of said the heck with it and just went off my plan completly but I put my mind back to it on Monday and started doing things the way I know how to and have take 5 of those vacation pounds back off. If you set your mind to it then you can take those pounds off, it may take a little time but it will be worth it in the end!!!!!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I was on a serious mission to lose 15 pounds. I got down to 151 (goal was 140) and then I got sick. The infection was misdiagnosed and I ended up being on medication for a month, with little energy, and overall exhaustion. I just got better this week and have been working out again, but for the first time in about 6 weeks.
    Over the course of the 6 weeks I actually didn't gain much weight.....about 3 pounds. Then on the weekend I had an anniversary with my husband, and I ate and drank alot more than I usually would (usually drink nothing at all). On Friday I weighed 154 and on Monday I weighed 159. Today (Thursday) I weigh 157.
    I FEEL different, I FEEL horrible. My stomach is bloated and huge, my clothes arent even fitting the same.
    I know how to lose weight but after working so hard and now being up 6 pounds I am just devastated. I feel scared I cant do it again.
    Is weight gain gradual? I just dont understand how this all seemed to happen at once. I really want to get back to 151 but I feel scared and so frustrated. :(

It's probably not as bad as you think. A lot of times when we indulge for a day or two because of a special event, we enjoy foods that are loaded with sodium and other bloating nutrients. It may take a week to get it out of your system if you are drinking plenty of water and watching your caloric intake. Chin up, it will come off again! To gain one pound of fat, you will have needed to consume 3,500 calories over your net calories. I doubt you ate 10.500 calories... so that means something else is going on with your body. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/small-weight-gain-don-t-panic-127354. You may find your answer in there. If not, know that the MFP community can help you stay motivated. Make friends here and they will be with you every day to cheer you on and keep you inspired! Good luck!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bjohs is an awesome motivator, and she's totally right, you'll lose it in no time!!
  • deaterrae
    deaterrae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First, acknowledge that after a month on medication, it might take your body some time to get back to normal. Don't be hard on yourself. It was important that you enjoy your anniversary, especially after recovering from serious illness.

Think about where you are now as a brand new start, not comparing to where you were before your illness. It's time for you to begin re-inventing yourself again, healthier and stronger. Only a day or two of watching what you eat will get you past the bloating and feeling gross. Drink a lot of water to flush everything out of your system. Consider focusing for a couple of days on whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, and a small handful of nuts. It'll help you feel better and like you're taking control as you leave out the unnecessary fats and heavy proteins that take your body longer to break down.

Don't expect to drop the weight suddenly. It is a slow process, and should be. Anything else neglects your body and begs to be put back on just as fast. This site encourages us to do it right, and we support each other in that process. Don't give up hope. Keep plugging away. You'll feel better soon.
  • sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    thank you guys, it feels so good to have support. i was trying to talk to my husband this morning and he said maybe i should just accept myself for who i am and i was really upset by that.....
    Bjohs....I read your article and interestingly enough, I have incredibly sore muscles, so much so that it hurts to sit down and walk around for this whole week! So maybe that has something to do with it.
    I am going to keep trying and I am going to try to switch from the dailyplate to this forum for logging my calories so people can help me out.....
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I too got down to 153 and back up to 160 and I felt defeated because I couldnt figure out why....I work out everyday and watch what I eat. When I joined this site I realized I had no idea how bad some of the things I was eating were when I thought they were healthy. I have lost the weight and am now lower than ever in the 140's. It works just takes time and dedication. :-) You can do it.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    thank you guys, it feels so good to have support. i was trying to talk to my husband this morning and he said maybe i should just accept myself for who i am and i was really upset by that.....
    Bjohs....I read your article and interestingly enough, I have incredibly sore muscles, so much so that it hurts to sit down and walk around for this whole week! So maybe that has something to do with it.
    I am going to keep trying and I am going to try to switch from the dailyplate to this forum for logging my calories so people can help me out.....

That sounds like a great plan! You know where to find me if you need a self-esteem boost or to help with your diary. Welcome back to MFP and I'm glad you're on the mend. You CAN do this!