3-minute walks useful?

I've been grabbing a 3 minute walk around my office building when I get the chance. Trying to do several a day. Any idea whether this is useful, worth logging, etc.?

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Anything that gets you up an moving is useful! I'd probably log the total for the day. Good for you for finding time in your day for activity, every bit helps.
  • chrissandra
    chrissandra Posts: 8 Member
    I know I've heard that any exercise you can get is beneficial. Obviously, if you're not breaking a sweat, you're not hitting that "fat-burning" zone or whatever it is. Not sure if I'd record it to gain extra calories, but it's definitely good for you.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    if you get 10 in a day thats 30 mins of useful exercise
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    It's good that you are trying to be more active as you can. However, 3-min walk is way too short to worth of logging, it probably barely raise your heart rate. Consider taking a longer break to do a 20 minutes (at least) walk, instead of breaking it up many times.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    It's definitely good for you, but I wouldn't log it. I agree that if you can stretch it out to 10 minutes, then you can definitely add it up for the day. I like to walk around my building once every few hours if I can. It gets my heart rate up and gets me out of the office which I almost always need. :)
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    I think it's useful and good for the body (keeps your muscles loose, stretched, etc) and also good for your MOOD

But, I woudn't log it and eat back any calories from it.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Not worth anything and probably already counted as part of your daily activity. Keep doing it as part of you daily activity, but don't go looking to eat the calories you won't have burned from it.

And 10 x 3mins is not the same as 30mins.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    The Calorie burn would be equal to the same amount of walking all at once. There would be less (beginner level) cardiovascular conditioning due to the shorter times.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Walking 3 minutes will add up! Its up to you if you log it or not. I sometimes walk at lunch but also workout in the morning and only if I feel like I will be over in my calories for the day will I log it. If not I don't. I use it more as a little extra cushion for the day
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    I personally do this myself as part of my overall goal to increase my steps per day and I use a FitBit to monitor my activity levels. I'm personally of the belief that just being more active in general is better for you, I burn way more on average now without counting exercise then i did even a couple months ago.
  • Me personally walk around the office quite a lot during the day so i norm record 30mins of walking, but idont use them to eat back my calories.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Any form of excercise is useful, but several three minute walks won't burn the same calories as one 30 minute walk (or the equivalent time). You need to exercise with an elevated heart rate for at least 10 minute straight for it to have a solid impact on caloric burn. Having an elevated heart rate for longer = more burn. You may elevate your heart rate for 2.5 minutes of that 3 minutes, but that half a minute adds up over time
  • eruczyn1
    eruczyn1 Posts: 12
    I am a night CNA and I take walks around my unit once my patients are asleep. I'm usually able to get at least a full half hour, in at a time so I choose to log mine. It's up to you if you feel your exercise is sufficient enough that you can afford to eat back those calories.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    It definitely won't hurt but I wouldn't use it to replace your regular workouts. ie I woudn't take all those 3 minutes walks and use that to justify skipping the gym kwim?