Diabetics: have you found your ideal carb level?

Options
There have been a few posts from newly diagnosed diabetics lately, so I thought those with more experience could share their experiences. I am in the fairly new category, myself.

I have only been testing for a couple of months, but my glucose readings would be out of control if I were following the ADA recommendations.

I still get fluctuations, but I seem to need to be under 50g/day to bring my readings down. The nice thing about such low levels is that I only need to test once a day, as meals don't affect the levels much. Once stabilized, my trigger point for higher levels seems to be between 70 and 80, even if post meal testing doesn't show a significant spike.

I have also found that exercise intensity seems to matter. I have built up my walking to 10k steps, but my fasting level is lower the next day if I pant getting in some of those steps (ie run, bike, strength training, rather than even brisk walking).

Replies

• mayoclinic2
    mayoclinic2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi My AC! was 6.7. I need to lower my AC1 like you did, Congratulation! So I will limit my carbs to 120g and sugar to 22g, but what about the exercise? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan on during 30 minutes a day on a stationary bike? Thanks
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, @mayoclinic2 . The best answer is your own blood sugar readings. Do you do your finger prick tests with a glucometer?

All exercise helps.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yes test often so you can get an idea what foods make you spike and what exercise (when) makes you plummet.
    Everyone is different. Your glucometer is your guide.
    I am a type1 and since I have been losing being on MFP and logging, I went from 8.6 to 7.1.
    For a type 1 my doctor was thrilled. Losing the excess weight is key!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Hi My AC! was 6.7. I need to lower my AC1 like you did, Congratulation! So I will limit my carbs to 120g and sugar to 22g, but what about the exercise? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan on during 30 minutes a day on a stationary bike? Thanks

Add some strength exercises as well. Muscles help with glucose control, and are often an issue for diabetics who don't have regular routines.

The 120/22 split is a pretty good place to start. It is on the low end of the American recommendations. Hope it works for you!
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just had Type 2 Diabetes (10 years with the diagnosis) removed from my medical chart after my A1C went from 7.3 to 5.2 in under a year with no meds or insulin. Diet and exercise only. It's doable! I stayed under 120g of carbs and 22g of sugar most days, and my fasting levels were 72-105 each morning after 2 months at that limit. To all those fighting Diabetes, keep at it- things can improve!

What is your carb limit per meal/snack? I was taught three meals a day at 45 carbs max in the diabetes nutrition class I attended and two snacks at 15 max which adds up to 165. I was taught not to count sugar at all. We must have been diagnosed at around the same time, 10 years ago. I'd love to get my A1C down as low as yours and be able to come off my meds.
  • learningandlosing
    learningandlosing Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just had Type 2 Diabetes (10 years with the diagnosis) removed from my medical chart after my A1C went from 7.3 to 5.2 in under a year with no meds or insulin. Diet and exercise only. It's doable! I stayed under 120g of carbs and 22g of sugar most days, and my fasting levels were 72-105 each morning after 2 months at that limit. To all those fighting Diabetes, keep at it- things can improve!

That's what I'm hoping to do. I go for blood work in two weeks and I hope my a1c is low enough to get off medication. I'm not consistent about checking my glucose but most times I do remember it's good.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

What is your carb limit per meal/snack? I was taught three meals a day at 45 carbs max in the diabetes nutrition class I attended and two snacks at 15 max which adds up to 165. I was taught not to count sugar at all. We must have been diagnosed at around the same time, 10 years ago. I'd love to get my A1C down as low as yours and be able to come off my meds.

Those guidelines were built around insulin dosages. Non insulin dependent type II diabetics can be a bit more flexible, as long as they monitor themselves in order to learn what works for their bodies.

As you learned, it isn't particularly important to count sugars, as your body can quickly turn most carbs into sugar. Your saliva starts the break down, so by the time it makes it to your stomach, it can get to your blood stream pretty quickly. However, having a limit helps some people focus on getting a greater variety of foods, rather than getting all of their carbs from fruit and sweets.

All that being said, it is doable FOR SOME PEOPLE. I was at slightly lower levels than @NuttyByNature79 for several months and my fasting levels stabilized between 110 and 120. It may have been other stressors in my life, but I first tried to compensate by going keto (no change in fasting levels), then rebounded into bad habits like Superman leaping a tall building. So, here I am again. Happy to take my meds while I get my habits under control.