Herbalife?

Options
I’m very active and eat fairly healthy for a 22 year old ex athlete. I am always on the go from one job to the next that I like to drink smoothies because they’re easier and it’s 100 degrees outside. I like Herbalife shakes because they taste good but I know there’s controversy over their ingredients and pyramid scheme. Does anyone have any insightful thoughts and or evidenced based knowledge about Herbalife products. And no, I am not trying to lose weight, I use this app really just to remind myself what I am putting in my body. Thanks!

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It would probably be cheaper for you to just buy some whey protein to add to your smoothies. From what I understand about Herbalife, the ingredients they use aren't the highest quality, which, considering the price you pay for it, would be reason enough for me to spend my money elsewhere.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    no.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    My son is a sports player - he is 31.
    He buys protein powder, I'm not sure which brand, and mixes it in a Nutribullet type thing, with milk and water and things like frozen strawberries. He has that for breakfast.

i agree with others - buy some protein powder if you are into that and experiment with smoothie recipes or your own combinations
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    How is Herbalife still in business? My word, they were a scam 30 some odd years ago.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Don't they have a link to liver disease as well? Or was that a different MLM scam?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You aren't trying to distribute on here are you? Against MFP policy.
    If you aren't...the stuff is a money pit of crap!
  • Ari_Sch
    Ari_Sch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m not trying to distribute or promote this project just would like to know the general consensus. I know it is a prymid scheme just like how they taste and the confidence of it. And when I say ex athlete I really mean ex college athlete. Thank you everyone for your input.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Ari_Sch wrote: »
    I’m not trying to distribute or promote this project just would like to know the general consensus. I know it is a prymid scheme just like how they taste and the confidence of it. And when I say ex athlete I really mean ex college athlete. Thank you everyone for your input.

Labdoor.com has reviewed a few of their products. Generally the scores are not that good. They don't submit their products for independent validation, but it doesn't seem like a good quality product.

https://labdoor.com/review?q=herbalife
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I'd start with the FTC settlement on Herbalife's business practices and work from there.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/142-3037/herbalife-international-america-inc-et-al

Or with John Oliver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI&t=16s
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    1 frozen banana or 1 cup frozen berries, 2 scoops of protein powder, 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt or skyr, an ice cube or two, stevia to taste if it's not sweet enough. Blend for 10 seconds and enjoy.