Optavia/Medifast/TSFL

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
It is a MLM program. I know a health coach who sells the products/program. I am having trouble sticking with anything on my own.

She said you lose 1% of your weight a week at first. I imagine it must be VLC. She did not approach me about it, I asked her.

Has anyone done any of these programs. Do they work ? Is it worth it?

(I am not promoting this program)

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Your "friend" will tell you anything to get you to buy.

These things are a waste of money. Some of them have health risks. Check out the stickies here - they're full of great info.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My sister did optifast (don't know if it's the same) and dropped a ton for her wedding then gained it all back. I did a bunch of these types of programs in the past and while you lose initially it is very hard to maintain. I always convinced myself I would lose then learn how to maintain. I never did but lightened my wallet considerably. Finally I lost slowly and surely just walking and eating less. It's up to you but truly for me the only way to do it was slow and steady. I've completely changed my eating habits now and I'm maintaining my loss (over 100 lbs.). I would keep my money if I were you.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Firstly it is not a MLM so let’s just clear that up. The trick to losing the weight is that the meals are formulated to give you the exact macronutrients you need to sustain a healthy ketosis/gentle fat burn stage. This with drinking loads of water to flush and break down the stores fat that has been sitting in your body helps remove that built up fat. The big thing for me was that I was so big I could barely get out of bed. This program works with what you already do so no added exercise and they encourage you not to overdo it. I’ve seen people from 8 years ago that still have the weight off and kept it off. It also teaches you how to listen to your body and how/what to eat. It’s simple instead of jumping into some complicated diet that you really don’t understand.

You can't flush out fat unless you're talking about liposuction, which again doesn't involve flushing but only sucking. Fat is energy stored in a semi-solid state. If you consume too little energy (food) then the body takes energy from fat cells. The less full cells remain in place.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Firstly it is not a MLM so let’s just clear that up. The trick to losing the weight is that the meals are formulated to give you the exact macronutrients you need to sustain a healthy ketosis/gentle fat burn stage. This with drinking loads of water to flush and break down the stores fat that has been sitting in your body helps remove that built up fat. The big thing for me was that I was so big I could barely get out of bed. This program works with what you already do so no added exercise and they encourage you not to overdo it. I’ve seen people from 8 years ago that still have the weight off and kept it off. It also teaches you how to listen to your body and how/what to eat. It’s simple instead of jumping into some complicated diet that you really don’t understand.

you lose fat in a deficit and keto diet you burn dietary fat, not body fat for fuel. its not what you eat or how you eat but it comes down to how much you eat whether you lose weight or not. you cannot break down fat with water.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options

What they said plus yes, yes it absolutely is an MLM.

http://optaviamedia.com/pdf/compensation-plan.pdf
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

if a person sells it and has to reach tiers to get paid more or get a commission then yes it is a MLM. if you have to have people buy from you and then have others sell it as well under your referral line then its an MLM