7 Bad Habits of Overweight People

Options
I read this and thought it was interesting;

7 bad habits of overweight people
Most people who pack on extra pounds didn't get there overnight. It usually takes years of unhealthy habits which can be hard to overcome. Here are seven common bad habits that can contribute to weight gain and what you can do to avoid them:

1. They don't exercise regularly.
Dylan Gautreaux, fitness manager for 24 Hour Fitness in Carrollton, Texas, recommends two to three cardio sessions per week of 20 to 45 minutes and two to three resistance training sessions per week of 30 to 45 minutes. He says resistance training will build muscle that helps burn fat.

2. They eat most of their meals out.
"Restaurant portions are enormous and most of us were brought up to belong to the clean plate club," says LouAnn Frisch, a dietitian in Portland, Oregon. She says that Mexican and Chinese restaurants probably have the highest calorie meals, but if you must eat out: "Thai and Vietnamese foods are better. Pho soups and won-ton soups are great choices." [Pho, pronounced "fa," is a Vietnamese soup that's usually made with beef.]

3. They always eat a second portion.
"It really does take 20 minutes for your brain to catch up with your stomach. But most people consume high amounts of food in 20 minutes," says Frisch. She acknowledges that it's difficult to slow down, but suggests putting less food on your plate and skipping seconds.

4. They avoid even light activity.
"There are little things that you can do to lead a more active lifestyle," says Gautreaux. "Take breaks and get some fresh air instead of sitting at your desk all day. There are even stability balls made to sit behind a desk instead of a chair. These cause you to sit up straight, hold your back up and burn more calories."

5. They never turn down sweets.
Frisch doesn't recommend cutting out sweets completely, just cutting down on them: "If you need chocolate, have some. Not a lot, just some. But savor it and be happy with a small portion."

6. They eat even when they're not hungry.
"Eating is a physiologically and psychologically satisfying, mood-altering experience. Most people eat, not because they are hungry, but for other reasons," says Frisch. Learn what triggers you to eat and healthier ways to reward yourself or brighten your mood.

7. They skip meals.
Researchers from the University of Massachusetts Medical School found that skipping meals can play a role in obesity. Eating fewer, larger meals may cause insulin to spike, which triggers hunger and could cause more blood sugar to be stored as fat. The study found that people who eat several, smaller meals were less likely to be obese. Overweight people may find it difficult initially to overcome their bad habits, but the results of better eating and exercise habits are very rewarding.

What do you think about this article?

Replies

• dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    I read this and thought it was interesting;

7 bad habits of overweight people
    Most people who pack on extra pounds didn't get there overnight. It usually takes years of unhealthy habits which can be hard to overcome. Here are seven common bad habits that can contribute to weight gain and what you can do to avoid them:

1. They don't exercise regularly.
    Dylan Gautreaux, fitness manager for 24 Hour Fitness in Carrollton, Texas, recommends two to three cardio sessions per week of 20 to 45 minutes and two to three resistance training sessions per week of 30 to 45 minutes. He says resistance training will build muscle that helps burn fat.

2. They eat most of their meals out.
    "Restaurant portions are enormous and most of us were brought up to belong to the clean plate club," says LouAnn Frisch, a dietitian in Portland, Oregon. She says that Mexican and Chinese restaurants probably have the highest calorie meals, but if you must eat out: "Thai and Vietnamese foods are better. Pho soups and won-ton soups are great choices." [Pho, pronounced "fa," is a Vietnamese soup that's usually made with beef.]

3. They always eat a second portion.
    "It really does take 20 minutes for your brain to catch up with your stomach. But most people consume high amounts of food in 20 minutes," says Frisch. She acknowledges that it's difficult to slow down, but suggests putting less food on your plate and skipping seconds.

4. They avoid even light activity.
    "There are little things that you can do to lead a more active lifestyle," says Gautreaux. "Take breaks and get some fresh air instead of sitting at your desk all day. There are even stability balls made to sit behind a desk instead of a chair. These cause you to sit up straight, hold your back up and burn more calories."

5. They never turn down sweets.
    Frisch doesn't recommend cutting out sweets completely, just cutting down on them: "If you need chocolate, have some. Not a lot, just some. But savor it and be happy with a small portion."

6. They eat even when they're not hungry.
    "Eating is a physiologically and psychologically satisfying, mood-altering experience. Most people eat, not because they are hungry, but for other reasons," says Frisch. Learn what triggers you to eat and healthier ways to reward yourself or brighten your mood.

7. They skip meals.
    Researchers from the University of Massachusetts Medical School found that skipping meals can play a role in obesity. Eating fewer, larger meals may cause insulin to spike, which triggers hunger and could cause more blood sugar to be stored as fat. The study found that people who eat several, smaller meals were less likely to be obese. Overweight people may find it difficult initially to overcome their bad habits, but the results of better eating and exercise habits are very rewarding.

What do you think about this article?
  • kckat96
    Options
    :huh: well some of it is true for me...but not all of it. I think that there is some truth to this article. Thanks...hugs from kckat96
  • Margy82
    Options
    Well, most of it I already knew from past experience. It all makes sense, but it did make me think. I sit at a desk all day, I don't take breaks because then I only have to work 7 hour days, and I always eat my lunch and snacks at my desk, so I'm going to get myself a stability ball for my desk because there is no way in hell I'm going outside when it's -30 below!!
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's not nice to describe my bad habits. Who been watching me? It's all true at least the captions are.
  • choclytejenn
    Options
    :wink: Yes i definitely agree! That's why have cut out the fast foods. I haven't really eaten fast food the whole month of February - (I did I had a McDonald's salad,) I was really tempted to get some fries but I didn't. My 15 year old daughter tries to eat Mikky D's at least once a week but I have put a hault to that. She gets annoyed now because me and my husband have been eating healthy and she's tired of healthy food.
    Working out is necessary and staying away from a second portion has helped me a great deal.
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat out, excercise pretty regular, dont always have seconds. Yes I rarely refuse sweets. seldom skip meals.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Heh! That was me up until september, except maybe the activity one.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    I was #'s 3,5,6
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I preferred to blame my weight gain on getting older and menopause but truth be known those 7 bad habits are exactly why I gained weight. (But I'm sure getting older and menopause must have had something to do with it too. :smile: )
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is right on the money to me...

Wish I could get rid of a few of those..:grumble: :grumble: