Didn’t hit my goal this month:(

Options
Definitely have been keeping under my calories although probably not the best food choices. I’ve worked pretty hard this month so I was pretty disappointed that the scale hasn’t changed at all. However, I have lost some inches around my waist so my hard work hasn’t been for nothing! Just gotta keep myself motivated and pushing forward!!

Any advice for helping stay motivated after a disappointing weigh in?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Don’t put a time limit on your weight loss. Having a deadline makes you sad if you didn’t meet it rather than happy about the progress you did make. Weight loss doesn’t happen at a consistent pace, and a lot of things besides fat contribute to the number on the scale. You want to lose weight; you don’t have to lose it by a certain date.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Congrats on being close to your goal. Whether this is a pit stop goal or the final goal, Good job!!
  • zandrathesweetheart
    zandrathesweetheart Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Acuevas414 wrote: »
    I bought a scale that also measures muscle mass and fat percentage. Even though my weight didn't change much, my fat percentage went down and muscle went up.

What scale do you use?
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Losing inches > losing 'weight'

Think of it like this:

I have two miracle pills.

Pill A will make you your goal *weight* instantly!
    Side effects: Your body will retain a huge amount of a "weightless blubber" so you'll look extremely obese. It also saps all your energy and makes moving hard as it will weaken your muscles. You'll have frequent health issues.

Pill B will see your weight quadruple instantly!
    Side effects: Your body will svelte, taught and trim. The weight is due to a compound in your muscles that gives you boundless energy and loads of strength. You'll more healthy than you've ever been in your life

Weight loss is really just an *indicator* of progress. It's not the real goal as I see it. The real goal is to look good, feel good and be healthy, focus on these factors if the number on the scale gets you down.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kaitfin94 wrote: »
    Definitely have been keeping under my calories although probably not the best food choices. I’ve worked pretty hard this month so I was pretty disappointed that the scale hasn’t changed at all. ?

Just curious - you mean you have an eating goal that is already at a deficit to lose weight?

And you aren't reaching that calorie goal?

By how much?

Shoot - if willing to an miss an important goal like that, just be willing to miss goal weight too!
    In which case you could be done.
    :p (kind of, but something to think about - what is a goal)

Great news on losing inches though.
    And does scale really say Muscle - Or Lean Body Mass (which includes muscle and water and bone and everything not fat? If it says muscle, that's even more of an estimate than the rough BF% figure is).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Hey, you lost inches. Having your clothes fit better as you lose inches is preferable to hitting an arbitrary number on the scale, right? Congrats! Looks like it's working. B)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    kaitfin94 wrote: »
    Definitely have been keeping under my calories although probably not the best food choices.
    The calories are the main thing, if you've been eating at a calorie deficit you will lose, the scales aren't playing ball but weight loss can be masked by a host of things so keep going!

The scale is not the only way to measure progress, you're losing inches which is great - keep up the great work :smile:

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Acuevas414 wrote: »
    I bought a scale that also measures muscle mass and fat percentage. Even though my weight didn't change much, my fat percentage went down and muscle went up.

Scales are not accurate in any way for measuring BF/ muscle.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Losing inches > losing 'weight'

Think of it like this:

I have two miracle pills.

Pill A will make you your goal *weight* instantly!
    Side effects: Your body will retain a huge amount of a "weightless blubber" so you'll look extremely obese. It also saps all your energy and makes moving hard as it will weaken your muscles. You'll have frequent health issues.

Pill B will see your weight quadruple instantly!
    Side effects: Your body will svelte, taught and trim. The weight is due to a compound in your muscles that gives you boundless energy and loads of strength. You'll more healthy than you've ever been in your life

Weight loss is really just an *indicator* of progress. It's not the real goal as I see it. The real goal is to look good, feel good and be healthy, focus on these factors if the number on the scale gets you down.

Depends on your reasons for weight loss........ One of the reasons for me is the reduced pressure on my knees which makes the size of my body slightly irrelevant.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you looked like a fitness model, but was 20 pounds heavier, would you take it?

I asked because I think if your focus is the scale, you might be missing the point of why you are doing this in the first place. You say you've lost inches. Isn't that part of why you are trying to lose weight?
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to stop setting number goals. I did this in the beginning and it really was not a healthy way of thinking. I'd beat myself up to get to whatever arbitrary number I set. I started to realize that weight fluctuates, especially if you're a woman. A lot of that is out of my control. I'm gonna bloat for two weeks out of the month, regardless of how my diet and exercise is. I stopped fighting it and adjusted my expectations. I can control my calories and my activity, so I focus on that! Now I set goals that are fitness or diet related. Eat more protein this week, try this new routine ect... I weigh every day and track it in the Libra app. As long as the overall trend is going down, I'm happy, even if the numbers went up that day!