Howdy!... Losing weight too fast??

Options
Hello all! I'm an overweight 43-year-old male that has never dieted before. My goal is to go from 205 to 155-160ish. I started my diet a month ago and I have a question. It's well known that doctors recommend losing no more than 2lbs a week. I've been losing about 4lbs a week since I started. My nutrients and vitamins are all in check and I'm not starving myself. I'm averaging 1500 calories a day eating healthy greens, fish, black beans, avocados and such. I've also been exercising regularly. I don't feel weak, as a matter of fact I haven't felt this great in forever. Allllll that being said is 4 lbs a week ok in this case ok??

Replies

• eznowjo
    eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You should be fine... I have lost 5 pounds in 6 days so far.. I usually can drop weight quite quickly.. And staying within daily a calorie intake. Some of us just burn it off more quickly than others.. It usually slows down after a while anyhow..
  • foxpro51
    foxpro51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started today. My goal was 1600 calories. I finished today meals at 900 calories. Am I ok?
  • eznowjo
    eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    foxpro51 wrote: »
    I started today. My goal was 1600 calories. I finished today meals at 900 calories. Am I ok?

I don't think it will let you log that in on here.. For safety it's best to hit at least 1200 minimum.. I wouldn't recommend only finishing the day at 900...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Has it been a steady 4 lbs a week, or an average of 4 lbs a week that started higher and is now starting to slow? The latter would suggest initial water weight, and I wouldn't worry. If the former (after a month you're still losing 4 lbs a week), you should increase your calories, because you're probably losing more lean mass (muscle) than you need to. 1500 kcals is the minimum recommended for men, and it doesn't apply to everyone, especially someone who is larger than average and exercising regularly.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    1% if your weight each week is well within the 'safe and reasonable' range. At 1 month you're still new to this and rapid 2% or 3% losses at this early stage are common. Don't be surprised or dismayed if your rate of loss slows soon. I don't know what your exercise is, but if it is a lot of cardio work you should be careful to log it accurately, consume your protein, and mix in some progressive heavy lifting. That will help keep your muscle as you lose.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    foxpro51 wrote: »

No, you're not OK. Also, you should start your own discussion (by clicking on the green "create" button on the website or clicking on the pencil in the Android app) rather than diverting discussion on someone else's thread.
  • mshidfar2018
    mshidfar2018 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    they say you can loose some of your muscles if you loose weight too fast
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm an overweight 43-year-old male that has never dieted before. My goal is to go from 205 to 155-160ish. I started my diet a month ago and I have a question. It's well known that doctors recommend losing no more than 2lbs a week. I've been losing about 4lbs a week since I started. My nutrients and vitamins are all in check and I'm not starving myself. I'm averaging 1500 calories a day eating healthy greens, fish, black beans, avocados and such. I've also been exercising regularly. I don't feel weak, as a matter of fact I haven't felt this great in forever. Allllll that being said is 4 lbs a week ok in this case ok??

The first couple of weeks some if it is water weight, but I would increase cals if after a month you are still losing 4lb per week.
  • HarshMishra
    HarshMishra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for vegans to be in keto ?