Weight loss

Options
sally4ever6
sally4ever6 Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello guys , I’ve been wondering How much weight can be lost during a week ?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    That depends on how much fat you have on your body, and how large a calorie deficit you're in. A good (healthy, sustainable, but still creating considerable impact over time) loss is up to 1% of your body weight per week, on average.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    That depends on the deficit you create.

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that an overly aggressive deficit may not be safe.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    That depends on how much fat you have on your body, and how large a calorie deficit you're in. A good (healthy, sustainable, but still creating considerable impact over time) loss is up to 1% of your body weight per week, on average.

This^

Your body uses calories 24/7. Bigger people use more calories. Let's say your maintenance calories were 2,000. The minimum amount of food (fuel) required for a woman is 1200. That's an 800 calorie deficit (5600 per week). 5600/3500 = 1.6 pounds.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Also depends on what else is going on in your life. Remember that not all weight lost is going to be fat. It's normal for people beginning a weight-loss program to lose more than expected in the first couple of weeks (say, up to 10 lbs), but a good part of it is water weight. TOM (Time of month) often causes water retention at some point in the cycle, which is then lost.

I'll give you a real-life example of my last month. I was out of town visiting my parents for two weeks. Their food scale wasn't digital; it was the old-fashioned kind with a knob you turn to calibrate (i.e. 'zero out' the weight of the container) and it wasn't all that stable. For the first week, I had more takeout than usual and my parents don't measure precisely when cooking, so I was guesstimating portion sizes. The week after that was Passover, where the dietary restrictions impacted my satiety levels negatively, so I did go off-track a bit.

I came home with a 3.6lb weight gain, of which some of that was definitely fat... but some of it was also water retention from TOM. And possibly other stuff, like more sodium, maybe drinking less fluids, etc. Then I got back to strength training after two weeks. More water retention.

Scale went up very slightly the following week, even though I was back on-program. (I think, 0.2)

A week ago Thursday, I had surgery. Now, to prep for that, the day before, from noon to midnight I was on a clear fluids diet, followed by an enema. Then fasting until after the surgery. At which point, I more or less ate my daily target. Stayed on program the next two days. Sunday AM is my weekly weigh-in. And that danged scale was up another 0.6! And yes. I was angry and frustrated and feeling discouraged. But at the same time, I knew that there was no way that I was gaining fat. Something else was going on. On a hunch, I typed 'Water retention post-surgery' into Google... and learned something new (to me)! YES. Post-surgery, it is NORMAL to retain water. It passes. It passes more quickly if you up your fluid intake—something about your kidneys realizing that with plenty of fluid coming in regularly, they don't need to hold onto what's already there.

Today's weigh-in? I'm down 6.8 lbs since last week. And no, there is no possible way that it's all fat, anymore than my gains for the 3 weeks prior were all fat. Some of it, yes. I'm now down about two pounds from what I was before this roller coaster got started.

Bottom line as it applies to you: The amount of weight that can be lost in a week could be significantly higher than normal (max 1% of your body weight as @kommodevaran states), but it won't necessarily be all fat and can be impacted by stuff other than diet and exercise. But what you should be aiming for is:

75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Well I dunno, the most I ever lost in a week was just over 5 kilos (10lbs) - but the sole and only reason for that was that I had the gastric bug from hell and I didn't eat anything solid for that same period of time, either. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • alxge56
    alxge56 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    weight loss of 0.50 kg per week is possible depends on your diet and age! Not rude I am 61 years old in last 4 weeks I did loose 2 kg this is by intensity minutes to 800 min by only walking; eat heathy and no junk food!
    Buy a Garmin HR health fitness watch great value.