Intermittent faster

Options
Is there anyone that is doing the intermittent fast?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I eat that way normally...you know, don't eat at first in the morning, don't eat right before bed. Pretty common, I'd say. 16:8 is how a lot of the world eats naturally - they just gave it a name.

What kind of IF are you doing? If you are hoping it will help with weight loss, make sure to log all your food as accurately as you can. It's still all about calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I use a 14/10 approach on my non work days, a 12/12 on my work days. I get up at 0430 on work days and don't get off work until 8 at night, so a 16/8 or even a 14/10 can be hard. I work 3 on 4 off. As the good members above stated, its not magic, its calories. For me, its helps in some appetite control, allows for bigger meals, some higher calorie, well I hate to say treat food, but it the only way I know to put it, and actually makes me more sociable in higher calorie environments. Makes it easier to go out for a meal if you know you have a 1000 cals left for the day or have shaved enough off for a couples days prior. In my case that is. Everyone's calorie needs are different, so my approach may not work for you. I think we all have to find our own way.
  • SoyD986
    SoyD986 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’ve just started IF to help regulate my portion control and hunger (I gained back 25lbs out of the 30 I lost last year to bad choices). I am working towards 18:6 with a window from 2-8pm. It’s still all about the calories but the structure helps me mentally.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I usually do leangains style IF (4-6hr feeding window). However, I only use it as an adherence tool, so I'm not super strict about it (I don't think the science on the other claimed health benefits is quite there yet).
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing it again after my Taekwondo buddy had great success with it. It's easier than I thought!
  • Megg82
    Megg82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do 20 hr fast & 4 hour eating window.
    I love it. I am more focused fasting and have better cognitive and physical results.
    I honestly kill my workouts fasted.
    I think could go longer, been considering the 24 hr fasts but I haven’t decided to trial it yet.
    I don’t get hungry anymore, it’s great.
    I’ve been doing it for 2 months & can say it got really easy 1 month in. It’s just a way of life and I love what it does for my energy and mood.
    Everything is much clearer, no brain fog or heavy feeling. I haven’t been tracking calories, I just eat healthy & work out. I don’t track my weight anymore because I’m petite & I’m trying to lose fat and gain muscle. A scale can’t really show that. But I’ve lost 3 inches between my stomach & hips in the past month & quarter inch each bicep since I started measuring so it’s doing something right. Unfortunately my thighs are the same but I think that’s all the darn squats and HIIT & sprinting I do. So now I’m tracking calories this month to try to really cut fat while gaining muscle hopefully. I fully recommend it. I really enjoy it. I will never go back to a typical eating pattern.
  • OneofGodsfav
    OneofGodsfav Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cmriverside I do 16/8
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    SoyD986 I agrer
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    Yes Graceious it keeps me discipline
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    I've been doing it since the 11th lost 12 pounds so far
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since the 11th lost 12 pounds so far

You've been doing intermittent fasting for less than 20 days and have lost 12 pounds?
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    Yes, cdudley628. I'm averaging about 1-2 pounds a week.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I’m just about to start up my 5:2 again which is 500 calories 2 days a week and eating at maintenance 5 days a week. I had great results last time and learned a lot about the difference between being hungry and thinking I’m hungry.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone that is doing the intermittent fast?

What is the difference between intermittent fasting and intermittent eating?
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    Same
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So if I eat 6 small meals all day and a snack I am an intermittent faster?
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So if I eat 6 small meals all day and a snack I am an intermittent faster?

Not unless you eat those meals within a certain window of time, usually 5-8 hours. Here's Nerd Fitness's take on it. https://nerdfitness.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    NovusDies sorry I should have explained it better. I did 16 /8. I fast all the way up until 1pm and then I start my meals and I try to end between 7:30p or 8p. I do a 16:8.
  • iamjanice7
    iamjanice7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 16:8 for 5 weeks. I skip breakfast. So fasting period starts from 8pm to 12noon the next day.

After 2 weeks, I started tracking calories to become more effective for weight loss and add home workouts.

So far I'm losing over 2lbs per week.