What nutrients do you have a hard time getting?

Options
Mine was potassium and monounsaturated fats until I discovered low sodium V8 and pistachios.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Both are easy to get enough of. If you need to track any specific nutrients, make sure they're on the label/in the database.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The only one I miss if I'm not careful is calcium. I try to get there with soy milk, tofu, and fortified orange juice, but on a daily basis I'm often under a bit. There are, however, days that I'm substantially over, so thus far it's worked out.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Potassium, calcium, iron. I have to take iron supplements and I take prenatal vitamins as well. I'm not pregnant but when you compare the labels for prenatals vs a multivitamin, they're just better.
  • robinbrooksparker
    robinbrooksparker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Both are easy to get enough of. If you need to track any specific nutrients, make sure they're on the label/in the database.

I had to completely rethink my relationship with food. Avocados, unsweetened almond milk, pistachios, olive oil and avocado oil are now part of my daily food intake
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    This is a question I have never researched but if you are eating monounsaturated fats at a deficit do they help with cholesterol even though they are being used for energy? I am curious because I know people who eat saturated fat all the time but work in labor intensive jobs that never have high cholesterol after decades of the same eating patterns.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It sometimes drives me insane that I'm consistently under my recommended potassium intake, but I've realized my intake is higher than mfp indicates, since many US labels do not show potassium levels. Also I do take iron supplements a few time a week when I see I'm not reaching my goal from diet alone.
  • robinbrooksparker
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This is a question I have never researched but if you are eating monounsaturated fats at a deficit do they help with cholesterol even though they are being used for energy? I am curious because I know people who eat saturated fat all the time but work in labor intensive jobs that never have high cholesterol after decades of the same eating patterns.

Include these healthier fats in your diet to help reduce the risk of heart disease.

Healthier fats include monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats (omega-3 and omega-6).

These fats help the cholesterol balance in your blood by decreasing the bad (LDL) cholesterol and increase the good (HDL) cholesterol. Replacing saturated and trans fats with healthier ones helps to lower your risk of heart disease.

Make sure you have these healthier sources of fat in your healthy balanced diet.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Molybdenum for sure (sarcasm)
    In all seriousness though, K+/potassium for the shear pain in the -kitten- of trying to track (a lot of times, data is missing/no label info) & compare vs Na+ intake.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I don't really over think it. Mainly use MFP to track calories, but don't worry about much else.
  • robinbrooksparker
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I don't really over think it. Mainly use MFP to track calories, but don't worry about much else.

That worked for me for the first two months. I lost 25 lbs. but then I struggled to lose even a lb in a month doing what I had been doing. I poured over every article I could find about breaking a plateau. They all said the same thing...look at your diet. So I not only needed to increase my calorie intake, I needed to focus on what my body needed more of. I’m happy to say I am now down 35.8 lbs since January 1st!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Mine was potassium and monounsaturated fats until I discovered low sodium V8 and pistachios.

I drink low sodium v8 juice M-Fri, otherwise my feet cramp too much from using the elliptical and barre class.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D. I am fair skinned and not a fan of the sun so I supplement daily.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I guess it isn’t really a “nutrient” in the traditional sense, but I’ve noticed unless I’m actively trying to get it in, I usually fall short on fiber. I love lentils, just don’t usually have the time to cook them and I don’t really eat much in the way of breads or pastas (just by preference, not to cut calories), so it’s usually either eating a ton of fruits and veggies or doing up some lentils if I want to hit my goal.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D. I am fair skinned and not a fan of the sun so I supplement daily.

Yeah, dose titration can be all over the place, especially here in the north. I'm currently using 10,000IU per week, but I commonly see others having to go up to 100,000IU/week and have this ultra rare super outlier woman who takes a ridiculous 50,000IU per DAY (confirmed not a prescribing error).