Practical exercise uses.

Options
Ever wonder what real-world uses some exercises could be put to? I found one today: the movements required to slam a medicine ball to the floor, then catch it to repeat the slam are essentially the same as using a rock bar to break up sandstone in a hole in the ground. :D
I found this out while preparing a planting hole in my yard this morning.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've found a number of benefits in every day life that come from simply being stronger. While I can't really say that bench pressing specifically has helped me be better at ______ activity, being stronger in general has helped me most days in a variety of things that I do.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OHP putting a box up on the shelf.

But, the reality is that many exercises help you perform many daily tasks, even if the movement is not the same.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Lifting and hauling a TV set to the top of the driveway (uphill!). Finding that I'm naturally and comfortably squatting to unpack boxes of pots and pans and load them into lower cabinets.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Walking as exercise is obviously the same as walking to get to a destination which is pretty practical.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Getting bags in and out of the overhead storage bin when I'm flying!
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Y'all might like Chad Howse's hero workouts.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I use walking as transportation most of the time. Covered 9.9 km yesterday in transportational walking.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Insanity and for my job it has helped with my speed and endurance. The faster I move the more money I make. I could potentially make 500+ dollars more a month just by moving faster. I have already increased my earnings at work by $25 a week in the last month. I have never earned the extra money.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    with my aerial stuff, i don't need any one to open a jar for me anymore
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Hip abduction: breaking in a new pair of shorts/underwear to break the seems up
    Lateral raise: pouring a glass of water from a heavy pitcher
    Farmer's walk/yolk: carrying luggage in both hands

Squat: defecating
    standing calf raise: everytime reaching for something high
    Front raise: using a steering wheel

I actually noticed this morning that I felt much more stable than usual going up on my toes putting away dishes, and I haven't even been doing calf lifts, "just" the big compound lifts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I did lots of dead lifting when I moved last November.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i deadlift my trailer tongue to hitch it to my van. i also deadlift big weeds out of my garden all the time.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    keeping my dad on his feet without being pulled off my own when he stumbles over a sidewalk ripple.

ohp is all about putting the spare bike on the shelf :tongue:

laundry day, transitions to and from car.