Obese friendly beginner tips?

Options
Hey everyone. I'm very obese (67% body fat) and asthmatic. I need to lose weight. But my fat, lungs and broken thyroid make it hard. Even walking hurts, though I'm working on being able to walk more.

Anyone here have any tips for ways to work out when your body makes it so hard?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Do whatever exercise you can tolerate, given your weight and medical conditions. Water exercises (as mentioned above), recumbent stationary bicycle, even something like a "Desk Bike" in front of your couch/chair. If you have access to a gym, you could start very light/easy strength training - or if not, you could gradually progress into bodyweight exercises at home. If your goal is to increase your fitness, anything is better than nothing. Start off very light/easy and take your time progressing as your conditioning improves.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Keep working on being able to walk more. If you get bored walking, start something new, again slowly.

Add in some flexibility and strength exercises. Again, start small and build up

For the weight, you will have to watch your diet. Generally, for those of us who reach obesity, we have used food as a crutch, rather than fuel. Some eat when sad, some lonely, some frustrated, etc. You need to learn new ways of dealing with your emotions.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For weight loss I would count on having a calorie deficit through diet for now.

For exercise you could start with seated workouts. There are some for obese, elderly or injured people on you tube that might work for your starting condition. When your condition improves you might try short walks like 10 minutes and gradually increase. If you have access to a pool that is another option.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    as others said take thing slow any little change will help when I started I could barely walk 1 block added a little more distance over time now I can do 5K easily. But swimming is a great option if your knees/legs can't do walking well. Just keep moving.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There are some seated workouts on hasfit’s YouTube channel that may be helpful. I discovered them after an ankle injury and they were pretty good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I know everyone faces their own challenges with health stuff, but I started at 307 lb and it was a big deal to walk a mile. Sometimes I got out of breath and had swollen ankles even walking around the OFFICE at work! But I started loading up my ipod with great music and doing walks 5-6 nights per week of about 1 mile or more and amazingly (to me) it did get easier and much more quickly than I expected. Within a month I didn't have shin pain anymore and within 2-3 months I was doing 2-3 miles many nights. Although my initial weight loss down to 270 literally took me years, I got to the point that walking a 4 mile round trip to the park was not a problem for me at all and I did it several times a week. I had non-obese friends who couldn't do that or would be very exhausted by it. Still do!

So it is possible, many times depending on health, to work up to more. I later lost another 100 lb, but I still think the biggest changes in my health and fitness came in that first 35-40 lb I lost and the gradual walking more & walking faster. It was really cool last year to do a 10k and not have to think about whether I could finish or not. I didn't run 10k, I maybe ran 1/4 and jogged 1/4 of it but speed-walked the rest as I'm not a runner...but anyway, it felt good. AND there were active men and women there of so many different sizes...I watched women who weighed easily 250 lb run right past my slow self.

I saw in your profile that you're in your 20s and feel you have already missed out on a lot due to weight issues. I can relate to that. I was the same way, I'm 41 now but was overweight since childhood and obese since high school, I didn't get to a healthy weight until age 36 and wish I had done it much sooner. Calorie counting made everything 100X easier though, even though this thread is about exercise I just want to emphasize that. It took YEARS to lose weight before I discovered MFP and tracking all of my calories...then I lost about 90 the first year on MFP.

Anyway, I wish you the best!
  • LisaMelton1
    LisaMelton1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are some great seated workouts on YouTube. I like the hasfit group. I’m 100lbs overweight and with calorie counting and the seated workouts have lost 30 lbs in 5 months. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Start slowly would be my advice. To lose weight you only need to burn more calories during the day than you take in. Walk to the end of the drive way, then to the corner of the road, and then to the end of the street. It will get easier! Working out in water is a great way to start, easy on the joints! You can do it!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Your legs can't outrun your mouth ;)
    start with changes to what you eat, and try to move a little more. it gets easier.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Your legs can't outrun your mouth ;)
    start with changes to what you eat, and try to move a little more. it gets easier.

This is the best, simplest, advice I have seen, and it is so true.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so first make sure you are tracking your food. all the exercise in the world will not help if you aren't eating at a deficit.
    second try different exercises. see what you like. walking is fun. short hikes. and aquafit stuff, swimming, jogging, water aerobics
    third, go slow. don't dive in too fast with too much.
    fourth, be kind to yourself. this didn't happen overnight and it won't be fixed quickly either
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stock up on good nutrition in your food too. Calorie counting is not the only thing to look out for, because right now you also need lots of protein, potassium, and calcium, but low on carbs and fats. Taking a multivitamin may help to get you on the right track. And even if it does hurt to walk, I'd still suggest it. With the increased nutrients, your main goal is to make your structure stronger, your bones and muscles. Then after that, you can focus on losing the fat. It'll be a long journey, but we're all doing it together here on MFP.
  • kaiwitzberger826
    kaiwitzberger826 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add a minute everyday until you reach 30 mins. Then add a minute or two every week. Before you know it you’ll be killin’ the game!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned, start slowly.

At this point, something as simple as repeatedly sitting down and standing up might be worthwhile - until you can walk more. Maybe after a few days/weeks - whenever you're ready - stand, walk around the room, then sit and repeat that?

As anvilhead mentioned above - work within your physical limitations. Over time, I'd think you'd be able to add more.
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think everyone’s got it covered ^^ so I just wanted to wish you luck!

On top of the suggestions, I think something small you could do is have a glass or two of green tea every day. Cutting out sugary drinks and replacing with just water or tea will really add up over the days. Don’t know if it’s just me but green tea with cayenne pepper or black tea with lemon also seems to beat the cravings by filling up my belly.