Two months in... and not sure where to go.

Options
I've been on my weight loss journey for exactly 2 months now, and I have used MFP for a month. In this time I have been watching my calories in vs calories out.

Over the past 4 weeks I have averaged a per day calorie intake of 1,628 and averaged 380 calories burnt. Average net calories of 1,248.

This is the week by week breakdown while on MFP:
Week 1 Net 1,131 calories (100gram weight loss)
Week 2 Net 1,193 calories (600gram weight loss)
Week 3 Net 1,190 calories (no weight loss)
Week 4 Net 1,476 calories (200gram weight loss - although not an official weigh in until tomorrow)

In the 2 months I have been trying so hard to lose weight I have only lost 1.9kgs (4.18lbs) and 0.9kg (1.98lbs) has been while using MFP.

I know a loss is a loss (and I am happy about that) but any suggestions on how to speed things up? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for dramatic weight loss but my goal was around 0.5kg (1lbs) a week. At this rate I'm only losing half a pound a week.

FYI. I am 25 years old, 5'2" and currently 86kg (189lbs). My ultimate goal is 65kg (143lbs), ideally in 8 months. Acheivable, but not at this rate!

Replies

• kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Averages out to a pound a week..that's what I'm at and I'm thrilled. MFP recommends a pound per week..it's the healthy way to do it. Good Luck!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    At almost a pound a week, average, you are right in the healthy zone for weight lose. Keep up the work and it'll come off. Regularly on this site I see posting that say "You didn't put the weight on overnight. It's not going to come off overnight." Be patient.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Honestly the speed your loosing is really great! Too much more and it wouldn't be healthy. I know we all want the lbs. to come off quicker but if you want to be healthy about it, you really should go over 1.5 lbs a week with out first talking to a dietian or nutritionist. keep up the AMAZING work and remeber...sometimes, good things take time (=
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training?

If not, maybe you should - this will allow you to burn more fat during workouts.
    If you are, and you hadn't been doing it before, then maybe you are gaining muscle as well atm, and so your actual fat losses are higher than you think. Have you been measuring yourself?
  • olsonspring
    olsonspring Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am also averageing 1 pound a week loss. Yes it's slow but not so stressful and I'm learning to eat right, not starve and do without. Your doing good, just don't stop.
  • sakus32
    sakus32 Posts: 101
    Options
    First off, your eating too many calories. By the calorie counter that I use and have lost 65lbs using, you should be eating between 1481 and 1381 per day to deficit 3500 calories/week which equals 1lb per week . That total doesn't include exercise calories that you would burn, but I don't factor my exercise calories back into my calorie allowance anyway.

Your calorie range will change depending upon your weight and should be adjusted accordingly. Feel free to friend me and we can discuss this more :) Good luck
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    yes - to what has been said before me! you are doing fine :) what is significant to me is that in week #2 you lost, then stayed there, BUT in week #4 when you upped your cals and there was bit more weight loss....

re-tweak your numbers and make sure all setting are good........sedentary, lightly active, etc. don't eat below your BMR calories whatever you do, this would be bad. fluids, accuracy in tracking...all the usual stuff...

seems you are on the right track!

took me 5 months to "healthfully" lose 20 pounds. Seems like too long but in the end, it was good :)
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys :)

But it's actually only averaging out half a pound per week. I have lost 4 pounds in total (only 2lbs in a month of MFP).

I know another half a pound isn't much, but I want it lol.
    I have lost weight before so I know I can do it, and it is definitely MUCH slower this time round. Stupid body :P

Yeah I occassionally do strength training, but not as much as cardio. And not as much strength as I used to do.

What does everyone think about not eating all (or any) exercise calories back? My body does seem to lose weight dieting alone so I'm thinking perhaps this could be where some of my problems lie - if I'm eating exercise calories back, sort of leads me down the path of what's the point. Since my workouts probably have no effect (other than increase my fitness etc lol).

Thanks again for the support.
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    And WOW there seems to be so many differing of opinions.

Sakus32 says I'm eating too much by eating around 1,500.
    Julia says don't eat below my BMR which is "apparently" around 1,600.

Guess it's going to all be about trial and error.
  • BlessedMystique
    BlessedMystique Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good job on the weight you have lost!
    I think you're eating too little! You should eat at least 1,200 calories net per day.
    In the month you posted, you're averaging about 1,190.
    I had to eat at least 1,300-1,400 net to get things moving, and I upped my water
    to at least 12 cups a day
    Try upping your cals a little for a week, and see how that goes.
    I've also heard cycling works for others...i.e Mon 1,200, Tue 1,400, Wed 1,300....etc

Good luck finding what works for you :)
  • kateballard95
    kateballard95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At night, you should try to eat mostly lean protein and vegetables. Try to make your dinner meal a low carbohydrate one (so stay away from starches [like bread and pasta] and sweets!). If you live in Texas there is a great place where you can buy healthy meals called "My Fit Foods". I'm not the hugest fan of it but my mom loves it! It's great because everything is perfectly portioned. My mom has lost 15 lbs eating it for most lunches and dinners for at least 6 months. Also, don't try skipping meals to lose weight! Tons of people make that mistake. It slows down your metabolism because your body stores more and more fat over time to prepare itself for the next time it is starved. There's also tons of other reasons why that is bad for you. It sounds like you are doing great though! Keep up the great work and exercise! :)
  • sakus32
    sakus32 Posts: 101
    Options
    Sometimes weight loss is trial and error, especially since everyone is different. I shared what works for me because I have seen it work, first hand. For me though, calorie intake is the key. I can exercise everyday, but if I don't stick to my calorie range, I don't lose weight and I get frustrated. When I decided to take back my body/life/health back in January of 2010, I consulted a husband and wife team of personal trainers. They taught me how to figure out my calorie ranges to lose weight and maximize my exercise efforts. They also gave me the one-on-one support I needed in the beginning to gain the confidence I needed to believe that I can live healthy, be healthy, and realize my dreams :) It has been a year and a half since I first met them and I am a healthier me and confident that I can reach my long term goals on my "own" but not alone.