Cell Biology Questions

My understanding may be wrong and I'd like to know what is right
> Nerve and brain cells are finite, once broken never repair or replicate
> Skin cells are constantly being replaced with new ones.

And questions are about fat and muscle cells
> Are fat cells like nerve cells, they fill and deflate but never go away? Do they replicate and increase in number?
> Do muscle cells break then repair to become stronger? Do they replicate? Do they disappear or shrink?

I may have picked up some odd wrong ideas and repeated above. I'm sure there are very complex and rare exceptions. I would appreciate simple confirmation or explanation from someone who really knows. Then the followup question, how should this influence my body management decisions?

Thanks in advance for explanations and advice

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Fat children add fat cells as they keep demonstrating to their "brain in a growing body" that they need more. As adults, they stop adding new fat cells. However, as adults, they can lose weight like anyone but they can add it back very fast.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i couldn't remember your background - all i know is that i can barely spell biology ;)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Apparently! I’m sure I can find other science-y questions for you ;)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,148 Member
    Finally, middle aged and older human men are prone to a specific subtype of lipoma known as a pleomorphic (giant-cell) lipoma. That may be where your confusion arose, OP. You heard "giant-cell" and, literally, thought it was a tumor comprised of one giant cell. They are not. They are still multi-cellular, comprised of many cells. But what they are not, are liposarcomas, although they can simulate closely enough that it triggers biopsy/histopath to make sure it is "just" a lipoma after all.

So, err, Ms @grinning_chick when will all my empty milk jugs fat cells call it a day and stop screaming that they would like to be filled again and go into @Aaron_K123's and CNN's "exhalation heaven"** And if not... why not? And should I want them to? Or should I actually be happy that they're sitting there on empty as opposed to waving bye-bye?

**subtle reference to a post Aaron made about where your fat goes when you loose it! The same information was also featured on CNN within a week, or so, of Aaron's post!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Thanks again to the MFP community for quality answers
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    This thread got me curious and I found this. Interesting read (I thought, anyway), though it sucks to know that fat cells do die off only to be replaced with new ones... You'd think, if we lost the weight and there were empty fat cells hanging out, the dead ones wouldn't need to go zombie on us, right?

http://book.bionumbers.org/how-quickly-do-different-cells-in-the-body-replace-themselves/
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,148 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Finally, middle aged and older human men are prone to a specific subtype of lipoma known as a pleomorphic (giant-cell) lipoma. That may be where your confusion arose, OP. You heard "giant-cell" and, literally, thought it was a tumor comprised of one giant cell. They are not. They are still multi-cellular, comprised of many cells. But what they are not, are liposarcomas, although they can simulate closely enough that it triggers biopsy/histopath to make sure it is "just" a lipoma after all.

So, err, Ms @grinning_chick when will all my empty milk jugs fat cells call it a day and stop screaming that they would like to be filled again and go into @Aaron_K123's and CNN's "exhalation heaven"** And if not... why not? And should I want them to? Or should I actually be happy that they're sitting there on empty as opposed to waving bye-bye?

**subtle reference to a post Aaron made about where your fat goes when you loose it! The same information was also featured on CNN within a week, or so, of Aaron's post!

So you're the guy watching CNN!

Wasn't it YOU who posted the article from CNN.com that echoed what Aaron was saying while stating that most health professionals don't know what happens when fat gets lost?
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    This scientific article tells a different story. Fat cells do die and go away. The trick is to stop creating replacements with a calorie balance or deficit. I don't know how long it takes for a fat cell to begin, die, and disappear...but I'm glad they do :)

https://cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(12)00775-1.pdf
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I'm not sure if any of this matters to a degree where this would be observable.

I believe the concern to be that one with more fat cells holds a higher chance of "yo-yoing" and regaining undesired body fat, but clinical studies shows very weak correlation and no clear causation.

The percentage of differentiation is so minute when you consider the overall number of cells.

You would find a similar distribution of muscle cells and the phenomenon of "hard gainers". A small degree of this is genetic, but the majority is environment and conditioning.