Local food

Options
Where are you from?
What’s the culinary delights from your country?

I shall start...I’m from Glasgow in Scotland
We have...Whisky, Shortbread (yum), Tablet, Irn Bru, Haggis (tastes amazing honestly)

Replies

• kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am in wine country in California (North Bay) .. wine and cheese, fresh vegetables and fruits most of the year and a mortgage that is so high, I can't buy very much of it.. lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm from the U.S. and food varies tremendously around the country depending on the state and region. Specifically I live in New Mexico and we have our own cuisine...New Mexican cuisine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexican_cuisine
    New Mexico chile is the defining ingredient of New Mexican food. Chile is New Mexico's largest agricultural crop.[9] Within New Mexico, green chile is also popular in non-New Mexican cuisines including Mexican-style food and "American food" like cheeseburgers, french fries, bagels, and pizza.[10] The New Mexico official State Question is "Red or green?" This refers to the choice of red or green chile with an entrée. "Christmas," a relatively new tradition, is a request for both (one side covered with green, the other with red)[11][12] New Mexico red and green chile have such a rich and distinctive flavor that traditional preparations require few additional flavoring ingredients. The essence of New Mexico chile preparation is its simplicity.[13]

Our food is very spicy.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I have lived in a few states in the southwest USA.

I love sopapillas from New Mexico (different in other states)- a heavy dough that puffs up hollow when fried and is then filled with savory beans/meats/cheese, or you drizzle honey inside to eat as a dessert.

Corn tortilla Chips and mango salsa

Tamales, usually pork but can be meat and cheese

Cheesecake, southern fried chicken, red beans and rice from New Orleans, and margaritas are my alcohol of choice.

Oh, and if you ever do visit New Mexico, the right answer to the ‘red or green?’ Question in a restaurant is ‘which one is spicier today?’ :-)

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »

Oh, and if you ever do visit New Mexico, the right answer to the ‘red or green?’ Question in a restaurant is ‘which one is spicier today?’ :-)

Truth...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »

Our out of town visitors tend to do this...mostly because they're afraid of burning their face off, but I just have a personal preference on pairing. Like huevos rancheros is always red...carne adovada is always red. chicken or beef enchiladas always green...burritos always green unless it's a carne adovada burrito (red), or breakfast burritos I can go either way depending on my mood. Non New Mexican dishes like burgers or pizza, always green, except gravy for potatoes is red.

I never do Christmas...too confusing for the palate.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    This thread has me wanting Hatch New Mexico Peppers!!!

But I'm from Michigan. We have the nations best IPA's and Pasties!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Memphis - pulled pork BBQ, dry rub ribs, and fried chicken.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've been here in central Virginia and haven't really found there to be a local cuisine. But there are lots of amazing vineyards, and orchards that grow peaches in the summer and apples in the fall. And there is a large Mennonite community who make amazing baked goods!
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'm from Long Island, NY, and while we have a melting pot of all delicious types of food here, we definitely favor Italian lol. There's a pizzeria on every corner!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    New England. Lobster FTW!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chicago Deep Dish.

I actually live next to a Lou Malnati's.
  • jessicaallyn2
    jessicaallyn2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eastern Connecticut. We enjoy a good meat grinder and pizza.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    In the US, so going with state. I'm in Florida, can't really think of a local specialty, most people in FL or not from FL. I'd say the two things visitors get excited about trying here would be gator meat and key lime pie.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Maryland. Three words: Old Bay Seasoning.

Our steamed crabs and crab cakes are amazing.
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Namibia and we do BBQ,we call it "Braai" in Afrikaans,our native language.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm from North Jersey where we have UNREAL Italian joints with the most amazing pizza basically on every corner. It's a blessing and a (weight loss) curse.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Our city has a melting pot of Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, German, Nepalese, and Mexican cuisines. One regional favorite I have never seen anywhere else is sauerkraut balls.