Inactive-to-Active

Options
Hello all,

I have fallen into the Netflix Hulu vortex and have not been very active for about a year. For that, I've gained about 40 lbs.

My concerns today are that I have been inactive for so long that it is painful to take a walk around the block. I'm scheduled to go on a work outing next month and we'll be walking the site (which is big) how do I get myself prepared? Do I start stretching first or do I take small walks every other day to get my bod used to movement again? Please help, I need to get healthy and I don't want to embarrass myself on my work trip.

Thank you

Replies

• SAsher5
    SAsher5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try marching in place several times a day, you'll be surprised how much quicker it gets easier and you can go longer. I started doing this at Christmas, I just put on something to watch and go for 15 or 20 minutes. It's an easy low impact workout that has done wonders for my stamina.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I started out by walking around my living room. I aimed to add a few minutes to my time each week. I would also do short bursts of a minute or two of walking around my house every hour. In just 5 weeks I went from excruciating pain and only being able to walk for 6 minutes to being able to walk 30-45 minutes with minimal pain. It’s been nearly 7 months and now I can walk as long as I want (I typically walk 60-90 minutes 5 days a week.). Just take it slow and try to build on your time gradually. Invest in some good shoes (They make a world of difference.) and make sure you take rest days!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    There are some good online walking videos too - I like them because although they are predominantly walking steps they do incorporate some arm movement and some side steps etc - these engage different muscles. They also usually incorporate warm up/stretching at the start. Start off slow and add time or steps to increase your fitness. The idea above of building extra movement into your routine by parking further away and using stairs routinely is really good too.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would cancel some of those streaming programs first! Remove some temptation! Then, if movement is very painful, try going to an indoor pool and working those tendons and muscles in an aerobic class or just light swimming! The pool will reduce the amount of force and shock that your joints are experiencing and allow them to get used to the movement again! Or start with a beginner yoga and stretching class! Something to get those capillaries functioning again in places that have not been used a lot, but won't be too much force on your joints.

For walking make sure you have good shoes too! Good shoes can make all the difference if walking is hurting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    slow but steady build up.
    walk one block, then 2 the next week. start a few times a week. not every day. rest days are part of getting stronger
    park farther away, use stairs, etc

and if you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit. i prefer to squeeze all the nutrition out of each calorie so i'm not hungry and function better but all you need to do is eat a deficit
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    start going for a walk every day instead of watching tv.

go further and further every few days.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Some simple things I do to add a little bit of activity to my days:

Park at the back of parking lots
    Take the stairs or use the walking side of the escalator
    Choose a lunch spot further from work, or take the long way around to where I'm going
    Park a block from my house

In your case, it sounds like any activity would help, and yes, start slow. A short walk each day that you go a bit further each day should be fine assuming you have relatively normal day to day activities.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I get around 13500 steps a day only about 4-5000 of those are planned. As someone in here already said, just add them to your day, if you can. I always park far away from things. Walk at work on my breaks. It's to the point now if I don't do those things, it becomes strange. I might park farther away from the store yes, but the time I would have spent driving around looking for a "closer" parking spot, I just walk a little bit. NEAT FTW!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    You don't even need to give up Netflix and Hulu? Stream them on your phone or tablet and walk around your house/apartment while watching them.

This is how I catch up on the weekend with all the tv shows I put off watching during the week. The calories burned add up and you'll build some walking stamina.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them fit you for the best shoes you can afford. With proper support, you are less likely to hurt during a walk. I'd start with walking more slowly in your neighborhood. Walk three minutes out, three minutes back. The next day, try walking 4 minutes out, and back to the house. The next day, 5 mins. But then stay at the 5 minute walk level for three or four days and see how you feel. Once you feel like you can do more, add on a minute at a time. I like walking outside, my sister-in-law likes to walk a couple circuits around the shopping mall. Sometimes I've driven downtown just to window shop. Other times, I'll find a local park and take a stroll. And I mean, stroll. There's no reason for you to try to race walk, you just want to very slowly build up your endurance. Your muscles will get used to it. Be sure to drink lots of water, and if your muscles are sore you can take a nice warm shower or bath before bed. Keep your goal in mind: you might want to build up to 20 minutes by the end of the month so you can walk the work site without any concern.
  • Ohiogirlatheart
    Ohiogirlatheart Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I was in those same shoes, so to speak, about 7 months ago. Every journey begins with that first step. I started taking short walks around our block and those walks have turned into daily 1 hour walks at a brisk pace with my dog. It wasn't easy, it wasn't fast but if you stick to it you will begin to feel so much better. I also joined a local gym. At first the exercise was just getting into and out of each machine. Now I can get a great workout in about 40 minutes. I've lost almost 28 pounds in these 7 months by logging into Myfitnesspal every day (good days and not so good days) and making goals on my fitbit. By the way, my dog looks great too!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that taking care of your soreness/pain is also really important! I did something similar, after being super duper sedentary for a couple months I went on a big 45min walk two days in a row and injured my calf. Not severely but still. Stretching, listening to your body, increasing slowly. Even checking in with your doctor or a physiotherapist if you can.

After recovering from my injury I’m doing a small amount of activity and monitoring my progress & foam rolling, stretching, and using a heating pad to prevent more injuries.

Lots of good advice here ^ good luck! I have definitely embarrassed myself around friends for needing to sit on outings.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    10 min walks.

1 a day, a couple a day. Whenever you can do a 10 min walk.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Be inefficient doing the house work, tasks and chores.

A couple of examples off the top of my head:
    Cooking: don't get all the ingredients out of the fridge at once. Get one. Close the fridge. Put it on the counter then go back and get the next one.
    Clearing the table: take a knife into the kitchen put it in the sink, go back and get the fork, put it in the sink, then then plate, then the glass, etc
    Take a piece of clothing and put it in the laundry. Go back and get another piece and another one at a time.

Basically look for ways to make more trips than you need to to get things done. It's a great way to add incidental movement to your day and it all adds up.