starting maintenance

Options
Hi, i am about 5 pounds away from my goal and my weight loss has stalled so I decided I'd go ahead and try maintenance for a while since I've been trying to lose for almost 2 years and have lost about 58 pounds in that time. I feel great now but still have a little tummy pudge. That'll come off eventually-I hope but not too worried about it. I count calories, do intermittent fasting, do cardio, and do some weights. I don't plan on eating as many calories as is alotted for maintenance as it seems like a lot. I'm afraid of gaining. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how not to gain and keep this weight off? Thanks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    klkc2005 wrote: »
    Hi, i am about 5 pounds away from my goal and my weight loss has stalled so I decided I'd go ahead and try maintenance for a while since I've been trying to lose for almost 2 years and have lost about 58 pounds in that time. I feel great now but still have a little tummy pudge. That'll come off eventually-I hope but not too worried about it. I count calories, do intermittent fasting, do cardio, and do some weights. I don't plan on eating as many calories as is alotted for maintenance as it seems like a lot. I'm afraid of gaining. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how not to gain and keep this weight off? Thanks.

You can use your real world data to tell you what your maintenance is... it shouldn't be 'too much'.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You won’t gain weight if you continue to log your food and stay within your calorie goal. Also continue with your exercise program and weighing.

I was afraid too. I gave up losing a couple of pounds short of my last goal I was so tired and hungry even at a small 300 calorie deficit I decided to do a two week maintenance break. My two week maintenance break is over and I’m not going back to weight loss mode unless I gain 2-3 lbs on a vacation or something like that. I even asked my husband if I should try to cut my calories to lose that extra couple of pounds and he told me “no”. Be strong and healthy and eat what you need to maintain this weight. I think he is sick of me complaining about being hungry and tired all the time.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    klkc2005 wrote: »

Just up your calories slowly. You actually might be surprised that you actually start losing more weight while you're upping your calories. My maintenance calories were way more than I anticipated given my own data at the time.

I pretty much went to maintenance for the same reason...wasn't really losing anymore weight. When I started upping my calories I started losing again and at a faster rate I think due in large part to the fact that I had more energy...had a hard time sitting still...became very fidgety...workouts got better, etc. I had also been dieting for awhile and more calories did a reboot on my hormones.

As maintaining goes, you just carry the same healthy habits you have learned into maintenance. I don't log anymore and haven't in about 5 years of maintenance save for a spot check now and then...but I'm still very aware of what I'm eating, exercise regularly, and monitor my weight on the scale. If you're monitoring your weight then you will know when you need to nip things in the bud. I usually put on about 10 Lbs every winter and when I hit that I start making some changes.

Also keep in mind that your weight won't be a specific number, but rather, it will be a range. My typical maintenance range is up or down about 3 Lbs.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just keep an eye on the scale and enjoy yourself a more!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,342 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    [
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    klkc2005, I'm similar to you, except I want to lose 8 more lbs but I'm not willing to eat 1200/cal/day to get there, so I started maintenance yesterday. I've very happy with my 1700/cal/day & fairly happy with my body too. I stopped losing wt last November but did lose 2 lbs since then. lost 51 altogether
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If your weight loss has stalled, you’re currently eating at your new maintenance. Just keep doing what you’re doing! Congrats on 58lbs!