After binge eating... help!!!

Options
I have been dieting the past 2 months and have been really good. However, last night I lost it and had a large ice cream sundae. After calculating the calories (I always track the calories even if i was really bad that day)......... I realized I had gone about 1000 calories over my daily limit !! By far it was the worst day of the diet!

I am sort of OCD about calorie counting and the numbers, so my immediate reaction was to net 1000 calories LESS the next day (today). However I guess its bad to eat too few calories... but I feel guilty, like I need to make up for last night. Should I eat regular today and let yesterday slide? Or should I try to burn off extra calories to make up the difference??

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Let yesterday slide, EVERYONE has bad days!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Let it slide. If your OCD urges truly can't be helped, I say burn extra over the course of the next 10 days or so. :) i.e. 100 extra per day
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as a metabolism boost. Jillian Michaels even says that sometimes you need the extra calories to remind your body that it's still alive and so it doesn't store fat.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    youre fine... i have "gobe over" by 700 every day since monday, and i haven'y gained. you probably needed the extra.. youll be fine
  • hlodwig
    hlodwig Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat regularly today, maybe cut out certain foods (foods high in sat fats) if you want to feel like you're remedying something - because you've been doing well for so long you really shouldn't beat yourself up over a slip! I've had plenty of slips but so long as you get back to it and burn some of it off soon enough the weight will still come off. : )

Good luck!! x
  • cjlapier
    cjlapier Posts: 29
    Options
    It happens from time to time. Don't be too hard on yourself. One binge isn't going to undo all the good that you have done for yourself. Just shrug it off and start a new day.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Let it go. It happens. Get back on track. Let yourself have a small portion of ice cream once in a while and remember you can have a little more tomorrow so you don't have to over indulge. I went over by 500 today but i'll work it off at the gym. There's no point of depriving yourself the next day. You'll just deprive your body of the energy and nutrients it needs.
  • vballcaptain
    Options
    thanks!! because i am finding it really difficult to make up such a huge defecit... unrealistic, im hungry today! haha
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Let it go. You are allowed to be human, aka imperfect. And it has much less to do with the ice-cream sundae today than it does with the overall total caloric intake over time, like WEEKS. One day is one day. And that day, you had ice cream.

Don't cut tomorrow by anything! Stay the course, do your normal thing. If it makes you feel more in balance, add 10 minutes to your work out, or add 10 minutes of thinking kindly about yourself in relation to the rest of the Universe. Or like withchaco sez, add an extra 100 cals each day for 10 days. Either way, don't beat yourself, don't get into any stinkin' thinkin', and embrace your lovely human self. We do!

Pj
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    let it slide.

ummmm but next time calculate the sundae calories FIRST that way you can log in your excercise get more calories and eat them back without going over your calories for the day.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'd say make it a regular thing, as in treat yourself to a sundae once a month... Will do no harm at all.

This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle, can you see yourself going without ice-cream for the rest of your life? thought not!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    As they tell us at Weight Watchers, one slip-up does not undo the 100 good choices you have made.

Let it go, forgive yourself, and most important... take a look back and try to figure out what it was that made you eat the sundae.

Today's a new day!