High LDL Cholesterol and Triglycerides

Options
I got a call from the dr that my LDL and Triglycerides are high. I have to change my diet so these levels go down. Anyone have advice for this?

Thanks!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    This is from my "About Me"

"My doctor says my HDL is low and I need to lose weight and exercise and eat more fiber to bring it up.
    On January 23 my HDL # was 34. On April 23 my HDL # was 39. The goal is to get an HDL # of 40, so the weight loss and the exercise has indeed made improvement. The more important indicator of blood lipid wellness is the ratio of total cholesterol/HDL, which in my case is now 4.384. My doctor calls it 4.4
    August 13, 2016 my HDL is 32, that's a decline. My total cholesterol is 148 and my ratio is 3.26.

November 8, 2017: Total Cholesterol 159, HDL 53. LDL/HDL ratio 3.26. Triglycerides 44. That all appears to be good. "

Between the first sentence and now I've done vast amounts of cardiovascular exercise, tiny bits of strength training, and eaten hundreds of pizzas and gallons of ice cream.
    I weighed 272 then, and weigh 192 now.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Exercise and calorie deficit are good starting points assuming you need to lose weight and you aren't doing either at this point. Do you drink alcohol? If so cut back/eliminate. If you tend to consume foods higher in sugar/prepackaged foods you should cut back on these as well.
  • terryritter1
    terryritter1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Triglycerides are influenced extensively by dietary carbohydrates. LDL and total Cholesterol is frequently impacted by saturated fat intake. However, HDL to Trig. ratio is a better marker, and that's impacted by increased saturated fat in the diet and exercises (both raise HDL). Research shows LDL is a pretty useless marker unless it's north of 300, but the trig. to HDL ratio is valuable. So, in a nutshell, if you want to move numbers:

1. Lose weight (that change in metabolic state usually helps all metrics) if it's needed
    2. Decrease carbohydrates while increasing dietary fat (though Saturated fat may increase your LDL, so for many monosaturates are a better choice)
    3. You can lower LDL with polyunsaturated fats, but I would avoid any vegetable oils like canola, corn, or soybean as they have their own evils.

I'd also ask my doctor about ratios. Trigs to HDL and HDL to Total. If they are stuck on the "LDL is bad" bandwagon, they are being educated by the drug companies. However, if they understand you are representing a poor pattern (Pattern B versus Pattern A), with small, dense LDL, they are likely better educated about the matter.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I have very high good cholesterol and very high bad cholesterol, and overall my cholesterol level is high. I've brought it down significantly with a change in diet. I utilized emeals.com to make heart healthy meals weekly for my family. For one year subscription it is about $1 a week and it takes all the guess work out of what to make and how. I don't have time to research everything and this has been fantastic.
    Within the first few months I lowered my overall cholesterol 30 points. I won't check back with my dr until next year but I'm hoping the number has dropped a lot more by then.
    There are lots of options to choose from on emeals and I highly recommend the heart healthy plan. You can change plans at any time if you get stuck or bored or just want a week of crock pot meals.
    Good luck, you'll get all kinds of "advice" from people but for me a new healthy eating plan has worked the best.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I was extremely successful- by using MFP! I exercised (light to moderate: walking, mainly at first) at least 3 days a week (so nothing tragic here except that I HATED it at first!). It takes time, but when I had my next phyical 12 months later, my doc said I was TEXT BOOK (LDL, HDL, ratio, and liver enzymes all were perfect. No meds used at all!! I ate whatever I wanted but stayed at my calorie limit, and naturally began to eat healthier (that also took me awhile!). Ate lots of high quality eggs (bc we got chickens!) WITH the yolks, lol!! Also ate some junky food, but significantly less than I did @ 227lbs :smiley:
    Still have weight to lose now, but the staff were SO impressed that I did this on my own they needed to know what I did so they can help other patients (and themselves!)... but diet & exercise takes time :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My biggest dietary changes where adding more veg and some fruit...I wasn't getting anywhere close to the recommendations for fruits and veg. I also started eating more legumes and oats and other high fiber foods. I started introducing more fish and chicken...I pretty much ate red meat or sausage for most of my meals...I also started choosing leaner cuts of red meat and pork.

At the same time I started cutting my weight and started getting in regular exercise so I don't know if it was my food choices or losing 40 Lbs and regular exercise that were the most beneficial in getting my numbers into the optimal range...though I'd say my food choices really helped me lose weight because they were lower calorie than what I was eating before.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    JoanJanis wrote: »
    Last November my total cholesterol was 240. Triglycerides were 205. HDL was 46. LDL was 157. I found Dr. Greger, of "How Not To Die" and have tried whole-food, plant based diet for a month. Got new blood test today. Hoping for better numbers, as I'm unwilling to go on Lipitor, Zocor, or any other statin. Been using daily regimen of flaxseeds, amla powder, beans.

That’s what I’ve been doing. Best change I ever made. I feel great!!!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Just lose weight and exercise regularly.

That's how my "bad" cholesterol levels dropped from "at risk" to "ideal" and my BP level drop from pre-hypertensive at 130/90+ to low normal at or below 110/70 over the past 2 years.
  • 1snowlady
    1snowlady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I started taking fish oil with EPA 860mg and DHA at 580mg. It made quite a difference. These EPA and DHA values are contained in 2 (two) pills per day. Do not want to go on prescription medication. I exercise 5 times a week but I have been doing that for the last 4 years and my lipid profile was poor....until taking the fish oil! Dr. was thrilled with my new blood test results.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Britevylet wrote: »
    Switch to a plant based diet. You'll see a huge change in those results next time you have blood work done if you cut out animal products.

This is really poor advice.

sgt1372 wrote: »
    Just lose weight and exercise regularly.

That's how my "bad" cholesterol levels dropped from "at risk" to "ideal" and my BP level drop from pre-hypertensive at 130/90+ to low normal at or below 110/70 over the past 2 years.

This is really good advice.

YES, some people have genetic issues, and for SOME of them, diet helps.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Britevylet wrote: »
    Switch to a plant based diet. You'll see a huge change in those results next time you have blood work done if you cut out animal products.

No, a plant based diet does not necessarily improve cholesterol and/or triglycerides on its own, because diet has much less impact on lipid levels than weight and exercise do. I am a lactose intolerant vegetarian who doesn't like eggs. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and triglycerides in my early 20s, before adopting that diet. Those conditions run in my family. Changing my diet did not help. I was on medication for many years, until I chose to lose weight and begin a regular exercise routine, which enabled me to control my condition without medicine.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended exercise and weight loss along with fish oil and healthy fats like in walnuts.