Explain net calories again

Options
sunnylv
sunnylv Posts: 42 Member
I am new to this and only joined on August 1st, 2011. I have already lost 3 lbs and I am weighing only on Sundays. I don't understand the net calories. Should I have a positive number in this area or a negative number? What is the purpose of net calories as opposed to calories? My goal is 1400 regular calories a day. Will a negative number of net calories be better? I have heard that I should eat more and some say eat less. So confusing.

Lisa

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Net is Intake (food) - Exercise. It's the amount of calories you are giving your body to run on for the day.
  • twhiddon70
    twhiddon70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Net Calories are your calories taken in, minus the calories you work off with exercise. You want to keep that number under your goal.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not under the goal. Net should equal the goal.
  • MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    In simple language, if your total calories are in the red, you've gone above your allotment of 1,400 calories + exercise calories spent, [i.e.: 1,400 + 150 = 1,550 total calories "allowed"]. A red number would reflect a calorie intake of 1,551 or higher; It's expressed by the negative number in red, with a minus, i.e. -1.

If your total calories are in the blue, you're OK; they will be preceded by a +. Individual categories will be in the blue, or red, according to what you've eaten. It's unusual for them all to be blue or all red at the same time at the end of the day, but usually balances out to being a blue, or "acceptable calorie count total" for the day.

If you're just a few calories over 1,550 and in the red, don't be worried; it happens. Look at the total picture for weight loss, the trend over a week will tell the story of success with the weigh-in. If you haven't lost enough, according to what you see, analyze what you've eaten and tweak it for improvement the next week, possibly with more exercise or less intake of calories.

I hope this helps! MJ
  • sunnylv
    sunnylv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I appreciate the posts. Keep up the good work helping us newbies figure everything out....

Lisa