It’s official, I’m sick

Options
I’m open to suggestions what others do when they get sick with the flu. Beside bed rest, pushing liquids, are there any tricks that help you to recover quickly? Thanking all in advanced for helpful suggestions.

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    NyQuil or zzquil to ensure I zonk out. Deep sleep usually helps me the best.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I’m open to suggestions what others do when they get sick with the flu. Beside bed rest, pushing liquids, are there any tricks that help you to recover quickly? Thanking all in advanced for helpful suggestions.

Nope...just rest. A virus has to run it's course.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yep
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Nope...just rest. A virus has to run it's course.

Yep. Rest and hydrate.
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel ur pain idk if it's the flu but I ran fever all night when I wasn't freezing to death I'd wake up soaked with sweat it's awful I just rest and stay hydrated
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Stay in bed and hydrate. Eat at maintenance if you can eat. If not try drinking broth.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I find that warm honey and lemon water helps!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C during the day and NyQuil at night; that’s all I’ve got unfortunately. Feel better soon!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Each time I see that SNL Hibernol skit I wish it was a real product.

I am afraid the only way past is through. Since I am very ill myself right now (in another way) I guess that goes for me too.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I just got over the flu from hell...... hydrate & definitely eat at maintenance if you can!
    Watch .... if it goes into your chest you may need stronger meds.
    Rest as much as you can.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Echinacea (X2 twice a day if your bowels can tolerate it) and vitamin C (1000 mg daily). If you take it at the first signs it can often stop it in its tracks after it takes hold it's just another cold remedy. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with the flu. Haven't had that since 90/91, which was also the last time I had a flu shot.

When I get a cold I eat quarts of spicy Asian soup and drink tons of ginger and other teas, and rest.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    If you are coughing/have chest congestion &/or fever, a ginger tea/infusion might make you feel better - I take about a golf ball size of ginger root and grate it (don't have to peel) and put it in a pot with 4 c of water, bring it to a boil, turn it off and let it sit for half hour (longer is ok) and then pour through a strainer into a cup and reheat as needed. You can add honey if you wish (or about an ounce of alcohol for a "toddy"). It's also refreshing as a cold drink over ice.
  • smeebles
    smeebles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

With whiskey
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    See a doc..Tamiflu!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

Same, except I add a dash of cayenne pepper.

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hot water, honey and a splash of Jim Beam. Or just hot water, honey and fresh lemon juice.
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Plenty of rest, and if you work out, I would take at least a week or two off. Try and get plenty of electrolytes in, water, and salt.
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Echinacea (X2 twice a day if your bowels can tolerate it) and vitamin C (1000 mg daily). If you take it at the first signs it can often stop it in its tracks after it takes hold it's just another cold remedy. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

I love that tea! It's great to start the morning with.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    NHS (UK national health service) says not to make yourself eat if you don't feel like eating. Fluids on the other hand are crucial.