Since we're all on MFP together...

Options
Here are some helpful eating tips I found in "Hers" magazine. I really liked this article so I thought that I would share it with everyone else.

- When eating a sandwich, cut it in to 4 pieces. This helps you space out your portion and helps you digest it slower instead of shoving it all in your mouth. You need to pace yourself.

- Between each course of your meal, wait 10 minutes before you move on. This will allow it to move on, you can go back to your first course or move on. If you move on to the second course, you can't go back to your first course. This helps you train your body "organization" type skills for your food.

- Blue dinnerware helps reduce appetite as does using smaller size utensils & plates!
*thanks for reminding me user Rabbitslave*

I have tried these methods for a few weeks and they actually work. My plate portions are smaller cuz I divide them up and I get to choose when I want to eat my food. Its not really about what you eat, its about when you eat it.

Here are some more helpful food tips:

The 15 best Fat-Burning foods (page 44 in Aug issue):
1- Walnuts: great source of Omega-3
2- Ginger: helps with your digestive systems, reduce inflammation to the muscles and blood flow.
3- Oatmeal: keeps blood sugar low so fat burning can stay high.
4- Avocado: the monounsaturated fats are burned for fuel during exercise.
5- Salmon: High in omega-3
6- Soy beans: direct source for soy protein and helps build muscle.
7- Water: This is obviously a given, at least two cups of cold water can boost metabolic rate by 30.
8- Flaxseeds: Contains Omega-3 Fatty acids that turn on genes that stimulate fat burning.
9- Grapefruit: Eating half a grapefruit three times a day while having a normal diet plan can increase calorie loss. The acids prevent fat from being stored in the body.
10- Honey: keeps insulin low and encourages fat release from your body's fat cells.
11- Peanut Butter: Aids fat loss, make sure you check the sugar content!
12- Eggs: Starting the day eating eggs helps you eat fewer calories throughout the day and increases body fat loss.
13- Chili Pepper Flakes: Boosts the calorie burn and reduces food intake.
14- Broccoli: It makes you feel full to enhance fat loss. Its great for getting lean!
15- Olive oil: has a great source of monounsaturated fats. helps improve cardio health and helps fat to be burned as fuel.

I know that many of this u all have heard or don't really care much for. But I thought this was a good article and wanted to share it. :)

Replies

• SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the list...I definitely eat my oatmeal and eggs everyday. I'm gonna go buy some grapefruit, I miss eating those :)
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I really like the concept of waiting between courses, and the choosing to finish or move on...makes great sense!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I like the 10 minute rule cuz it allows me to relax and your body does take time to tell you "hey I'm full." If you keep on eating, your brain misses that signal and then you feel bloated after.
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    One thing I have noticed about this website (as opposed to other socially orientated sites) everyone here is here to help; and i love it. So any info you have to share is greatly appreciated! I dont think you ll find any nay sayers here, and someone may stumble upon any posted info and find it helpful and even if just one person has never heard it before and it helps them, then we are all doing our job imo.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    oh I got tons of info to share like the difference between different types of milk to drink to the 15 best lean-muscle building foods. I know that everyone is trying to loose weight for themselves but I think that helping each other out and sharing our knowledge can help too. I do tend to buy Shape, hers, and womens magazines because they explain things that I never knew about and its helpful for when I get lost. I get new workout and food ideas, answers questions i've always been curious about and frankly its a good read. lol
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Here are some helpful eating tips I found in "Hers" magazine. I really liked this article so I thought that I would share it with everyone else.

- When eating a sandwich, cut it in to 4 pieces. This helps you space out your portion and helps you digest it slower instead of shoving it all in your mouth. You need to pace yourself.

- Between each course of your meal, wait 10 minutes before you move on. This will allow it to move on, you can go back to your first course or move on. If you move on to the second course, you can't go back to your first course. This helps you train your body "organization" type skills for your food.

I have tried these methods for a few weeks and they actually work. My plate portions are smaller cuz I divide them up and I get to choose when I want to eat my food. Its not really about what you eat, its about when you eat it.

2- Ginger: helps with your digestive systems, reduce inflammation to the muscles and blood flow.
    7- Water: This is obviously a given, at least two cups of cold water can boost metabolic rate by 30.
    8- Flaxseeds: Contains Omega-3 Fatty acids that turn on genes that stimulate fat burning.
    9- Grapefruit: Eating half a grapefruit three times a day while having a normal diet plan can increase calorie loss. The acids prevent fat from being stored in the body.
    10- Honey: keeps insulin low and encourages fat release from your body's fat cells.
    12- Eggs: Starting the day eating eggs helps you eat fewer calories throughout the day and increases body fat loss.
    14- Broccoli: It makes you feel full to enhance fat loss. Its great for getting lean!
    15- Olive oil: has a great source of monounsaturated fats. helps improve cardio health and helps fat to be burned as fuel.

I know that many of this u all have heard or don't really care much for. But I thought this was a good article and wanted to share it. :)

also:

blue dinnerware helps reduce appetite as does using smaller size utensils & plates!
  • sdechantal
    sdechantal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great list!

5862857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChristinaMcKeever
    ChristinaMcKeever Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you its very helpful info....
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I love you list of 15 -foods

Rather that focusing on what I should avoid I've been trying to focus on things I SHOULD eat.
    Seeing food as positive instead of negative.
    Food is a source of nourishment and needed for us to be strong and healthy.

Almost everyone of the things on you list was on my list also.
    To combat heart issues, and arthritis and diabetes all things that run in my family!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options

also:

blue dinnerware helps reduce appetite as does using smaller size utensils & plates!

oh ya, i totally forgot about that. I'll put that in my list.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    I love you list of 15 -foods

Rather that focusing on what I should avoid I've been trying to focus on things I SHOULD eat.
    Seeing food as positive instead of negative.
    Food is a source of nourishment and needed for us to be strong and healthy.

Almost everyone of the things on you list was on my list also.
    To combat heart issues, and arthritis and diabetes all things that run in my family!

I know right? we are on this site and we sometimes focus on food being our enemy. We should view it from the other way around.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    oh I got tons of info to share like the difference between different types of milk to drink to the 15 best lean-muscle building foods. I know that everyone is trying to loose weight for themselves but I think that helping each other out and sharing our knowledge can help too. I do tend to buy Shape, hers, and womens magazines because they explain things that I never knew about and its helpful for when I get lost. I get new workout and food ideas, answers questions i've always been curious about and frankly its a good read. lol

Have you seen... http://nutritiondata.self.com/ ?
    Awesome data a lot of info, I figure If I can learn one thing here a week I'll be doing great.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    Women's Magazine/ Sept 2011 Issue/ Page 74

Healthy Ways to fix your heart:
    Your heart needs a work out too so don't forget about it!!

1- Have more SEX!!: It helps reduce risk of heart disease, lowers blood pressure and stress.
    2- Drink wine with dinner: Only in moderation, helps with heart disease
    3- Skip the salt: Increased sodium intake releases extra water to the blood. This increases blood volume for a over worked heart.
    4- Get enough sleep: decreases heart failure and can decrease high blood pressure. 7-8 hours of sleep is recommended.
    5- Get a move on: You have to work your heart out to keep it working. The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise.
    6- Calm your mind: Decrease stress, this will help keep a steady heartbeat and reduce high blood pressure. Take yoga; nuff said!
    7- Floss everyday: Really? (I don't floss everyday. lol) Gum disease is murder for your teeth and your heart. If your bleeding from your teeth, your immune system is also on alert. A woman's chance of having a heart attack doubles when she has gum disease.

I never knew that gum disease affects the heart. This is interesting knowledge we need to know. lol My favorite tip for this article was number one. lol