Sucess with overeating habit

Options
I had a major success today that I would like to share. This may sound small to many but I have an issue with leaving an opened packet of chocolate, cookies, chips etc. If it is in front of me, I will finish it. I have gotten around this by simply not having tempting foods in the house but this year I have been trying to retrain myself to have restraint around snacky food especially when alone.

Last night after dinner I settled on the couch with a left over bag of chocolate chips, I took a handful, resealed the bag and it sat beside me until I got up to go to bed. I was not tempted or interested at all!! This is huge, usually I have to measure out my portion before hiding it in the fridge or pantry so it is out of mind.

Is anyone else trying to teach themselves these habits? I would love to hear about other peoples success.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good job. Certainly a reason to be proud. No step is small if it gets you closer to your goal.

I don't think I would pass your test. I was always kind of bad about snacking on auto-pilot. I feel more comfortable eating away from the bag/container.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Yep... the clean-up kitchen tax.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I ended up going the opposite method of you to curb overeating because I got tired of battling willpower.
    Instead of having a jar of peanut butter at work. I just measure out my portions for M-Fri into mini containers and then take one with me each work day. No more guilt about dipping into the jar and eating more.

Also switched from eating heaping tablespoons of dark chocolate chips to breaking squares of chocolate bars. I keep the chocolate in a pretty tin on the counter but I can resist it as longs as it is in the tin and not sitting next to me on the table.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Well done that's amazing!

I'm also trying my best with this since January and have been thrilled to have some similar victories. My husband still can't believe lol

I have banned certain cookies/ biscuits from being kept in the house though and multi packs of sponge type cakes I try not to keep in the house but I've been able to keep chocolate until the next day or to make a box last a few days or weeks which is huge for me.

Something has clicked this year and the idea of logging unnecessary snacks that will put me over my daily calorie goal makes me think more logically when I am tempted to binge or go for "just one more".

I find it easier to think I can always pre log and have it tomorrow when I have a fresh calorie start lol I really look forward to midnight these days ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This is amazing. I'm not at that point yet for many foods, but there are foods that I can do this for and it feels liberating.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That is incredible! A huge step on the road to a healthier relationship with food! Thanks for sharing your story. Be sure to follow up and share other successes!
  • tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support! Its a slow process but something I want to get a handle on now that I'm maintaining.

I backslided last night :neutral: Nothing major, calorie wise as I only went over but 100cal, but I ate more chocolate than I intended too. But no need to beat my self up, I will get there!!
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It’s a long journey :wink: One step at a time!