I Quit.

I'm done bulking and cutting and paying gym membership fees. I started off extremely underweight two years ago, and went through two bulking/cutting cycles. Now I'm a healthy bmi with a little muscle, and I'm content with that, but I'm so sick and tired of the calorie counting and the weightlifting. Will I be okay if I just stop counting calories and replace my gym membership with recreational sports and hiking? I've learned a lot about nutrition through my experience, so if I just watch my weight I should be fine right? I've been doing the "bodybuilding" thing for so long now that I'm afraid I'll lose everything I've worked so hard for.

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    You may or may not be. If you had to lift seriously heavy to get those muscles, then they probably aren't going to stick around if you don't keep using them. As far as calorie counting, if you can't intuitively keep eating as much as you need to maintain your weight, then it's likely you'll lose weight. So I guess it all comes down to: Can you work your muscles enough to keep them, if you want to keep them, and can you eat enough without counting calories?

It really also depends what you're happy with, if losing a little is alright or if you really want to keep your current body composition. You can always just go with it and see what happens.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Depends on what you mean by "okay."

If you hate your workout routine, don't do it. Find activities you like instead.

If you stop lifting, you might lose some muscle mass, depending on what activities you do instead. You have to figure out whether you're okay with that.

Some people in maintenance stop counting calories after a while, and just go back to it if their weight goes outside a range they've chosen. Others continue counting calories. It's up to you to figure out whether you want/need to keep tracking, but you do need to have a plan for what to do if your weight goes outside your maintenance range and be strict about following it. Being okay with "just one or two pounds" and then "another one or two pounds" etc. is how a lot of us became unhappy with our weight in the first place.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    There is a 'use it or lose it' component to building muscle. Your recreational activities will help you retain the muscles that are used in that aspect, just how much, only time will tell.

Try intuitive eating and doing what you enjoy. Use your scale weight as a gauge on what is happening with your eating. Maybe you just need an extended break from all this, you always have the tools to fall back on if you need them later on.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I fully support your decision! Interrupt your hikes with some planks, push-ups and other body weight exercises. Carry a heavy back pack. But mostly, enjoy life. It’s way too short to do things that make you miserable.

It sounds like you have the nutrition part nailed, so weigh periodically and adjust as needed. Wishing you the best!