May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Question: Looking ahead on my training plan and I have uphill sessions. I have no hills near me (I average 6 feet elevation gain on my runs) and no time in the mornings to drive somewhere, run, drive home, and get ready for work (unless I get up at like 2 am which isn't going to happen LOL). Should I go to a slight uphill location in my neighborhood? My elevation gain is from running through our green areas which are technically for rain drainage since we don't have gutters.

The rumor here is that Floridians consider overpasses and underpasses to be hills. You work with whatever you have to work with.

@RunsOnEspresso and @MobyCarp - I actually do this (overpasses) :blush: because there are no hills near me either, but there are a couple of different freeway overpasses. When I first started running these were my challenge to myself - to run to the top without stopping. I have run a few times to the closest challenging hill but it is a running distance of 5-6 miles away - a bit too far to run to, run repeats and then have anything left to run home. I will however run it again a few times before the SF HM in July just to get in some hills...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I don't believe there's hills (that's what they say at least). I do wish I could do more hill work though because when I did them on weekends I set a PR by like 10+ minutes.

I'll probably end up doing a combo of speed work on slight inclines and heading out on weekends to the trails for some hills. Luckily or unluckily I have no access to a treadmill. I do all my runs outdoors.

Or I can move to a hillier area :D

Or get on a dreadmill and set the incline. :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
  • apricotqueen1
    apricotqueen1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Going for another month with the 100 km goal. (Planning to up it to 150 in June after running 146.9 km in April!)

Started off the month with a short, slow, treadmill run with 2.8 km. Coupled with some strength training in the gym.

97.2 km left to go!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I am in for 140 miles. May started out crappy this morning but I am (naively) optimistic it will get better. So not looking forward to summer.....

5/1 = 6 hot and humid lunch miles
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - Are you coaching GOTR?!? That's awesome! My daughter did it for two years, but aged out. She loved it!
    @RunsOnEspresso - Re. hills...if there is a school / church / stadium near you, they often have hills due to the way they are constructed. They are short, but usually steep.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @karllundy It's been a while since I've consistently been up at 4 for running. But it's only an hour earlier than usual so it should be doable. HAH

School, yes but it has about the same amount of incline as the green areas in my neighborhood. It's just the way these subdivisions are made here. No curb/gutter just a slightly lower green area where rain can drain (when we actually get some). A lot of churches are in strip malls here. LOL
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I can easily add that second one in using my plyo box instead of stairs.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @kristinegift - Are you coaching GOTR?!? That's awesome! My daughter did it for two years, but aged out. She loved it!

@karllundy I am indeed! I only do it one of the two days because I can't take the 4 hours/week off work I'd need to do it twice a week, but I'm loving it! There are a TON of girls, but they have so much energy and just want to skip right to the running every week!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Question below is my training plan for tomorrow
    Workout
    Include 5-6 x 1 mile at Speed Pace, 3 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Its a MacMillian plan but I'm not sure what "Speed Pace" means. Any help is welcomed.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Workout
    Include 5-6 x 1 mile at Speed Pace, 3 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down
    Its a MacMillian plan but I'm not sure what "Speed Pace" means. Any help is welcomed.

Check: https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillan-running-glossary/

Pretty sure it is referring to:
    Speed Workout
    A Speed Workout challenges your mental and physical fortitude. The effort is hard to very hard and the pace is 5K race pace or faster. Recovery intervals are taken between the fast running repeats to allow you to catch your breath. The last few repeats will likely feel very hard but that helps prepare you for the challenge at the end of your race.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Workout

Just a guess, but referencing a different plan that I use, they have speed work for a 1600 meter interval slightly faster than my target 5K pace. (i.e. my 5K pace target is 7:23, and reference speed work for that ~1M is 7:10).
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5

First day of May and first outdoor run in shorts of the season (I think, except for when I traveled)! A balmy 75 degrees or so this afternoon and it felt like a whole different world from the weekend when there was snow. I kept it somewhat short because I am doing 3 days in a row of circuit training including this morning, plus speedwork last night, so I'm a bit fatigued already.

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Thanks @PastorVincent and @kevaasen that seems like a tough workout but I'll give it my best.