what’s a good kind of protein powder for a shake??

Options
I need helpppppo!!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    One that tastes good that mixes well. I dislike the texture and taste of most plant based proteins, prefer whey.

I don't like protein shakes though, and prefer protein from other sources - if I use powder, it's in yoghurt or in baking (pancakes, cake, breads etc)
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for the cheapest possible, that still have a good protein-to-calorie ratio. I don't care much what flavor, but prefer to go for vanilla or unflavored in case I wanna add one of the coffee mio things, etc. I've put up with some semi-nasty tasting protein powders due to the great ratio.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I just received a sample order of IdealLean. I am super happy with the flavor! It came with Chocolate Brownie and Cake Batter and two same of their BCAA's. It also came with a shaker bottle and ebook
    It is sweet. So if you have a sweet tooth, it has been very satisfying the last two nights. I have an order of a tub of Chocolate Brownie on it's way. Yesterday I made a meal replacement smoothie with one packet, and tonight I made a "Frosty" for dessert from the cake batter.
    Its "formulated" for women. Basically its marketed for women and is in a pretty container. I didn't mind that.
    80 calories Per scoop.
    20 Grams protein.
    A recovery blend
    No sugar. They do use sucralose....

I also like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in Chocolate. Its not as super chocolaty as the IdealLean though.
    Amazon has that one for a good price..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Go get a few samples. It really comes down to taste. I like Muscle Pharm, Quest, Premier Protein, and a few others. Although, I am super excited to try PEScience, since it is highly promoted on the board.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like PEScience. I've tried their Snicker doodle(really good), peanut butter cookie (pretty good), and chocolate (meh). Quest is good too, especially the salted caramel, but it costs more.
  • Slwk5
    Slwk5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We like the Blue star whey protein, cookies and cream flavour;)
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have the Vega all-in-one and Iso Surge. I prefer the taste of the Iso Surge over the Vega, but the Vega has added vitamins and such.
  • MRR0GERS
    MRR0GERS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for off the shelf stuff, I've been happy with optimum nutrition at GNC. I tend to buy from Truenutrition.Com though because I can make my own blends with choices of types of protein, flavors, sweeteners, etc.
  • mathewchef
    mathewchef Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a pea protein one as I’ve found whey protein upsets my belly
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with Optimum whey stuff from GNC. However, I'm somewhat lactose intolerant and so I could only handle half a scoop. So I recently switched to the Optimum Hydro which is 100% whey protein isolate which is still milk based but doesn't have lactose. Been using for about a week with no issues so far. In addition, I prefer vanilla as I like to add fruit, kale, yogurt and/or juice to my shakes. And chocolate will interfere with the flavor, just something to consider if you plan to add any fruit or veggies to your shake.
  • jpo61592
    jpo61592 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My favorite brand is muscle tech, flavor wise though strawberry is where it's at.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I switched to MyProtein from ON a while back. Labdoor graded, direct-to-consumer model, they're always running sales, and you can get whey concentrate for a cheap as ~$5/lb if you catch a sale and buy the big 11lb bag. They have a wide range of flavors, as well as isolate, casein, and other protein blends in addition to other supplements and a clothing line.
  • moco916
    moco916 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of BSN Syntha-6 bit it does pack a lot of calories. I switched to BSN Syntha-6 Edge to save a few calories and it tastes good also. It mixes easily and still tastes good if mixed with water vs. milk.
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I switched to MyProtein from ON a while back. Labdoor graded, direct-to-consumer model, they're always running sales, and you can get whey concentrate for a cheap as ~$5/lb if you catch a sale and buy the big 11lb bag. They have a wide range of flavors, as well as isolate, casein, and other protein blends in addition to other supplements and a clothing line.

Haha this almost sounds like an add, but I actually agree.

OP check labdoor.com they test and rank protein powders based on quality and an value.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Haha this almost sounds like an add, but I actually agree.

OP check labdoor.com they test and rank protein powders based on quality and an value.

I didn't think of it when typing it out but reading back through it does sound like it. Was just trying to lay out all the pertinent facts, not a paid spokesperson, just really like their products.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I use Aldi's Protein Power called Elevation. It comes in chocolate and vanilla and is only $13.99 as compared to the higher prices most places charge ($22 and up). I only use a half scoop though and also add in a scoop of organic greens for more vitamins and also use sugar free almond milk and frozen fruits.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I need helpppppo!!!

Personally I love Iso Pure Zero Carb because it has 210 cals and 50 grams of protein per serving. Plus it's good when mixed with sugar-free instant Jello pudding powder, plain or in oats.

Depends what your goals are though. Most proteins have about 25 grams of protein per serving, but I have to hit 150 grams x day so I tend to look for the blend with the highest serving of protein and lowest amount of cals.
  • kmazurk88
    kmazurk88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition from Costco, 90 Servings for i believe it was $44. Really can not beat that price especially since it is a high quality protein powder.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Over the years, I tried a few protein powders and ended up wasting them. I didn't like the taste of any of them. Last year I bought Bluebonnet Whey Protein Isolate for the first time. It's the only one so far that I've liked. I got it in chocolate. Next time I might try it w/o a flavor. The chocolate uses stevia and I'm not a fan of the taste that brings. Overall though, this is by far my fav one I've tried for a shake, and it makes a delicious protein cheesecake. (The other flavors in that drown out the stevia pretty well.)

I also like this one bc it mixes extremely well with cold liquid, no need to use a blender.

I bought it at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Bluebonnet-Nutrition-Natural-Protein-Chocolate/dp/B0025PZQ0M/ref=pd_bxgy_121_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0025PZQ0M&pd_rd_r=AVBCGQRRZSXXZSZ1319P&pd_rd_w=HETdS&pd_rd_wg=0QVX7&psc=1&refRID=AVBCGQRRZSXXZSZ1319P
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Isopure Whey Isolate, unflavored. Mixed well with pretty much anything and you hardly even know it's there.