Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Splenda Stevia Extract, non GMO

Options
2»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Stevia makes my mouth burn and my tongue go numb. (True story: the first and only time I tried powdered Stevia in my coffee, I thought that the cleaning people had used some kind of cleanser in the coffee pot and forgotten to rinse it out afterward. I thought I was drinking coffee + industrial cleanser). I haven't visited an allergist to confirm whether I'm actually allergic or if it's just an irritant for me, but I feel pretty comfortable saying that it's a less-healthy choice for me than any of the other artificial sweeteners that don't cause side effects for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your contributions. I am concerned that societal trends are forcing marketers and producers to change their game. Depending on the plant origin, it. Can take years to adjust.

Looking up the Stevia husbandry, I notice that there are plant variants developed for India. How can a Stevia variant not be GMO?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Thanks all for your contributions. I am concerned that societal trends are forcing marketers and producers to change their game. Depending on the plant origin, it. Can take years to adjust.

Looking up the Stevia husbandry, I notice that there are plant variants developed for India. How can a Stevia variant not be GMO?

"GMO" in colloquial usage is basically any organism, or really any product derived from an organism, that was modified using modern genetic engineering techniques. Genetic modificiation through selection or through hybridization or even chemical or radiation based mutagenesis would not be considered "GMO" in this parlance.

It is confusing because the terminology is being misused. Rather than call it products produced utilizing genetic engineering they call it "GMO" even if what they are talking about is something like corn starch from a genetically modified corn plant despite the starch itself being unchanged. It also means that if you modify a plant with genetic engineering techniques it is "GMO" but if you do the exact same changes through hybridization or chemical mutagenesis then it is not "GMO".
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Hah. I guess all the random mutations from irradiation from the sun are perfectly fine.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

"GMO" in colloquial usage is basically any organism, or really any product derived from an organism, that was modified using modern genetic engineering techniques. Genetic modificiation through selection or through hybridization or even chemical or radiation based mutagenesis would not be considered "GMO" in this parlance.

It is confusing because the terminology is being misused. Rather than call it products produced utilizing genetic engineering they call it "GMO" even if what they are talking about is something like corn starch from a genetically modified corn plant despite the starch itself being unchanged. It also means that if you modify a plant with genetic engineering techniques it is "GMO" but if you do the exact same changes through hybridization or chemical mutagenesis then it is not "GMO".

c21ymn4vjbxa.png
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oooooooooh. Look at the purty pictures.

I remember when genetic engineering was first proposed and the yuck factor of fish antifreeze in our food was speculated.

Now that gene mapping is so far along I think the astounding thing is how little difference there is between man and mouse.

There’s no Frankenstein mixing going on. We’re all cousins anyways!