beginning weight question...

Options
I have my starting weight set at what it was when I joined here not what it was when I started losing weight. Should I change it? I think seeing the 11 pounds instead of 2 would mentally help me....or is that like cheating?

oops...almost 11 pounds!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have my starting weight my heaviest weight simply because I like knowing how far I've come. For me, it doesn't matter HOW (whether with MFP or not) I lost the weight - I lost it and that is what counts.

But, that is just me. Other people may consider it "cheating" to have their starting weight be something other than where they were when they joined/started using MFP.
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    i have mine set at my highest weight also, my scale is broken so i want to at least see that it looks like ive lost something lol
  • Heidi_Maggott
    Options
    oh great! I will change mine too!
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    heck no that's not cheating. you've done the work! It might mentally help you to actually see the progress you've made. Mine says I started at 155 but I really started at 157. I change mine to reflect how much weight I have left to go
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the odd one out because I set mine at what I weighed when I started MFP. Now the scale hasn't moved (in the right direction) since February due to my ankle issue & surgery 2 months ago. But when I get permission from the doctor to start walking again, I plan on making up for lost time!!!
  • MariPars
    MariPars Posts: 52
    Options
    Do it, change it back! I lost 44lbs just before starting here. I started and lost 3 and now I've been on a month long plateau. Change it! LOL For ME, if I need that reminder that I lost all that weight, it HELPS keep me going. Not seeing it would be discouraging.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ok I am taking credit for the 9 pounds I had lost previous to joining!
  • MariPars
    MariPars Posts: 52
    Options
    That a girl!
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have mine with the weight that I started the website. I wanted everyone to know how much that my friends and this website has helped me lose. But I do let my friends know how much I have lost total.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How do I change my beginning weight? I had lost about 15 pounds before starting MFP but had mistakenly put the weight i was when i started MFP instead

NVM, found it :)
  • snakegoddess_3
    Options
    I started with only what I lost when I joined, but I lost the weight before I joined too. It helped me to see hell yeah I lost that much and kept me pushing forward. I say how is it cheating when this is suppose to be about you. If it works better for you to see the number then see the number let that push you forward on days when you don't want to move off the couch. I like knowing for me how much I lost.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    My starting weight is based on what my scale said at home. A couple months after that, I went to the doctor and found out my starting weight was 14 pounds higher! I didn't change the number on here, cause that would've been very discouraging for me. I just decided that after I lose my initial 60, I'll set a new goal for the difference. That way, I reached my first goal, and can be proud of that and know that I have a smaller goal to reach after that.

It's definitely not cheating because this is about you and what keeps you going. :-)