Weightloss/hypothroidism

Options
Chewbac7777
Chewbac7777 Posts: 238 Member
Looking for any help i can get from anyone that has hypothroidism amd has lost weight.i keep flip flopping and im tired of it.

Replies

• Chelleplans2save
    Chelleplans2save Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight after being diagnosed with thyroid disorder. I can tell you I really don't know what I did other than stop focusing on the actual weight loss and started putting my focus towards individual organ health. For instance, I focus now on making sure I'm eating healthy for my blood pressure and I take in herbs and extracts that help to clean my liver and kidneys. Doing those things and not worry about weight has helped me to go from a size 36 in women's to a size 26. I have a bit of a way to go but I've also come a long way. It takes time but more importantly it takes me not stressing. I hope this helps.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @CSARdiver can give you of the science - but the impact of hypothyroid on metabolism is negligible - so tracking/logging food is the best thing you can do

if you haven't already - get an updated blood panel - you might not have your levels optimized (there is a huge range for normal TSH, but figuring out what works best for your body can take time)
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had half my thyroid removed eight years ago, and the other half is probably shot by now from the Hashimoto's disease they diagnosed me with back then. I take my levothyroxine faithfully and see my endocrinologist regularly.

I'm convinced that my hypothyroidism has little if anything to do with my weight -- certainly not compared to my habits, my affection for food & cooking, and my tendency toward gluttony and sloth. But it makes a great-sounding excuse, even if nobody believes it.
  • Secretnotes
    Secretnotes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I meticulously track my food intake because if my dosage is off, it can make a very mild difference to what my body burns each day.

If your hypothyroidism is under control with medication, and your levels are in the normal range, you should have little difficulty dropping weight. (Fair warning: It's as painfully slow for us it is for every one else.)

You may want to discuss with your doctor how often you should have a blood test to make sure your medication levels are adjusted with your weight loss if necessary.

I found that my dosage had to be adjusted for about every ten pound increment of weight loss but your mileage may vary.