So disheartened.

Options
Tabby0880
Tabby0880 Posts: 4 Member
I know there's similar topics and I'm in the same boat. I'm 6 feet tall (well, 0.25cm under!).
I weigh 196 lbs so 24 lbs to lose until I'm happy again.

I've been weighing and logging. My diet wasn't good up until a couple of months ago. I've been cutting down on carbs, increasing protein, cutting down on junk and alcohol.

Every week I do two spin classes, two body pump classes, cardio in gym. I add in a run or two if my children are at their dad's house.

I'm going by my clothes rather than weight (as I've been doing weights)... and there's no change.

Please can I have some advice as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on this regime?

How many calories are you consuming? What does MFP recommend to lose .5lb/week?

Have you taken any measurements?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How long have you logged food intake, have you sticked to your allowance every day, have you recently started new exercise, does no change mean no change, not even fluctuation?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no change in what timeframe?
  • Tabby0880
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your responses.
    MFP has put me at 1590 cals to lose 1.5lbs a week.
    I've changed my diet since beginning of March (but wasn't logging daily until end March/ beginning April as I ran out of memory on my phone and had to delete the app!). I started at the gym around mid March.

I haven't taken measurements - I took pictures and have a pair of trousers and a skirt I put on to see if they fit yet! (they don't!)

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had a stall for a couple of months too, but it started coming off fast the last two weeks. I have no idea why but just keep plugging away and doing what you are doing. It will come off as long as you are being honest with your food diary :)
  • Tabby0880
    Options
    My daily deficit is 750 cals (going by mfp)
  • guy_1987
    guy_1987 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you use the calorie counter?

I swear by mine and I loose weight.

If I don't track exactly what I'm eating I won't loose weight.

Track everything!

If you're within or below your allowance for 5 days and sensible over the weekend along with exercising 3-4 times a week you will loose weight.

If you're doing lots of exercise then it must be your diet.

Make sure you set your calorie goal low - but not too low.

I'm 5ft 11and 169 pounds (male) and my daily allowance is 1900 (I end up eating about 1700-1750 normally).

As you're female you'll need less.

Try allowing 1500 or 1600 a day.
  • guy_1987
    Options
    Don't get disheartened though.

Your will to succeed is obviously there - you just need to tweak what you're doing.

Keep positive!
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's taken me since the start of February to lose 9lbs (I'm aiming for 14lbs) okay it's been slowed down by weekends away, days out with friend and the occasional "stuff it lets get a pizza!" nights...it's been slow and steady but (most importantly) I certainly don't feel that I've missed out.

Once I lose my target lbs I'll still be wearing the same clothes, yep they'll be slightly less "snug" but I wouldn't use them to measure my loss.

Try not to be disheartened, jump on a set of scales and see what's what (it might help!)...it's the only way to really know what your body is up to. Coming to the realisation that weight loss takes time will also help.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    vz01l1aruezq.jpg
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    with only 24lbs to lose - i'd adjust your goal to 1lb a week (or even .5lbs) - it will give you some more wiggle room
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Tabby0880 wrote: »
    I weigh 196 lbs so 24 lbs to lose until I'm happy again.

Please can I have some advice as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Don't tie your happiness to an arbitrary number!
    2. Expand your time window to add patience. If you only have 24 pounds to lose (or more likely some amount of fat that you want gone so that you will look like your vision of what a 24 pound loss might look like - 24 may not actually be the number), then expect it to take a little while. Going slower with good training and adequate fuel for that training will make you much happier than the scale number. Ultimately it's not a weight issue by itself, it's a body composition issue. You want to lose fat. So....lose the fat, but retain muscle when you do it.
    3. Weigh your food - every bite. Know for sure what your intake is. Give yourself 4-8 weeks to make adjustments from that depending on your progress (not a few days or even 2 weeks - you'll need more time).
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Change takes time, sometimes a lot of time. I haven't been consistent, and it has taken me 3 years to lose 21 pounds. You've only given it a month, and it doesn't sound like you're counting calories (or even servings). I am now logging everything on MFP and fully expect that I will lose fat more rapidly. 0.5 pounds a week would be great - that's 26 pounds in a year.

Keep at it.
  • guy_1987
    Options
    Change takes time, sometimes a lot of time. I haven't been consistent, and it has taken me 3 years to lose 21 pounds. You've only given it a month, and it doesn't sound like you're counting calories (or even servings). I am now logging everything on MFP and fully expect that I will lose fat more rapidly. 0.5 pounds a week would be great - that's 26 pounds in a year.

Keep at it.

Calorie counting definitely works for me too.

Without it I don't lose anywhere near as much weight.
  • DanielleFayeS
    DanielleFayeS Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    My clothes didn't start to fit terribly different until I was 10+ pounds down which took me several months actually. Kind of a blessing and a curse of being tall is a certain amount of weight gain is almost invisible - but so is the loss. I had some bad exercise bloat when I ramped up the intensity, too. Heck I seem to get bad bloat if I look at things wrong but it eventually clears out. Also, I did end up with a sluggish thyroid and weight loss got easier after a year of treatment on that.
  • Tabby0880
    Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone.

I'll try and respond as I remember!

I said in my original post I'm weighing and logging food. The junk I was eating before was ridiculous. I now only drink a bit of alcohol rarely. I think I've had 3 glasses of wine in two months!

I haven't been weighing myself because I haven't got scales! So I only do it at my parents when I visit! (I don't want to get them in my house, my young daughters are forever being commented to about how tall / big they are, and I don't want to make an issue!)
    I'm aiming for that weight because I've been there before and felt amazing - fit and healthy.

I am fairly fit, I think. I ran a marathon last year. Distance has decreased over the year, but I did 20 miles in 2 days at the weekend (and only been able to walk downstairs comfortably today!)

I'll give it more time (patience hasn't been my strong point, ever!)

Thank you all :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to keep scales at home, use a measuring tape to take your measurements instead of relying solely on two articles of clothing that just fit at your waist and lower body. Your body takes fat from wherever it pleases, so you might be losing inches in lots of other places that aren't reflected in how one pair of pants and one skirt fits.