Dropped 60 pounds AND antidepressants!

Options
larali2
larali2 Posts: 31 Member
ojfpdqywgtdx.png

First of all, congrats to everyone who is here because you ARE on the right track.

My story starts way back when I was a kid. I went through a rough time as a teenager and was told I had "genetic depression" and went on and off different antidepressants for most of my life. I was very thin and active, and weight was never a problem.

Fast forward to after I had my second baby. I went through what I now understand was postpartum depression that got out of control. I was put on some heavy medication meant for a severe mental condition (which I do not have) to control my bouts of crying and depression. It didn't work. It made me a complete zombie and made me gain 65 pounds in less than a year. I also developed an alcohol problem and my personality changed. Let's just say, it may have been the wrong medication for me, but the doctor insisted I needed it, and that I would HAVE to be on this med for the rest of my life.

So, a couple of years into this, then something happened (a traumatic experience which I'd rather not get into). I "woke up". It was actually a series of events, that made me realize that I needed to change the trajectory because things were not going to end well.

I went off the medication cold turkey. It was like turning on a light. I started my journey to health and weight loss. I began a weight loss program that just had me counting calories and exercising (I lost 10 pounds that way.) Then I started running. It was so painful. The depression was so bad that I cried whenever I went walking around the block, at first. It was just so much easier to sit on the couch and feel bad. But after, I don't know, a month or two, slowly it started to become easier, and after a couple of months I was feeling okay enough to try jogging.

I literally felt something happen in my brain when I ran. Like little electric sparks. I don't know what that was but it must have been a good thing, because the depression started really going away!

Now, a couple of years later, I've run a half-marathon and have lost most of the weight. For me, this is something I HAVE to do to feel OK. I need exercise as much as I need food or water. If I miss too many days of exercise, the depression and anxiety starts creeping back. But for the most part, it's gone. I've been med-free for three years and life has NEVER been better. Also-- my personality went back to normal, I am regaining my confidence and rebuilding my relationships that suffered during that horrible time. And I do not drink anymore, not even a drop.

Here's my story on Shapefit:
https://www.shapefit.com/success/weight-loss-success-stories-lara.html

Replies

• larali2
    larali2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! And how wonderful that your life is so much more enjoyable. I find running to be a wonderful stress reliever, too.

I'd just add as a caution to others reading this thread that the OP was able to tolerate quitting her medications "cold turkey" but that is not always the case with every anti-depressant. It's usually advisable to work with your doctor to gradually taper off your dosage at a rate so you can more easily tolerate any potential withdrawal symptoms. Just a thought. I in no way intend to insult @larali2 on her approach, and am glad to see that things are going so well!

Yes this is very true. I do NOT recommend quitting meds cold-turkey, and actually I was foolish to do that. The only reason I did that was because my doctor dropped me as a patient due to "noncompliance"... but it was a VERY rocky road going off the meds. Ask your doc and taper off if needed.

I also do not want to sound like meds are not necessary for some people. Meds are very necessary for many people and that is great. We are lucky to live in a time where meds are available as an option. My only point was that this particular med was wrong for me, and was the cause of my weight gain, and my doctor refused to take me off it.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Amazing success story! I’m a big believer that exercise is great for mental wellbeing. You look incredible and your confidence really shows! Well done.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Huge congratulations on trusting your instincts when the specific meds and the 'expert' advice were wrong for you! You look fantastic but it's the triumph of your spirit that makes me smile the biggest!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    wow, congratulations you look fantastic.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Good for you for controlling your situation.
    Unfortunately I do feel that doctors are too easy in prescribing meds and personally I would have loved to see you pop into his office and let him know you are your own success story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!