America needs a doctor.

Options
America needs a doctor. America teaches her young children that they arent beautiful unless they are skinny. america has 8 million anorexics. 50 percent of girls age 13 to 15 believe they are overweight.42 percent of americas 1-3 graders want to be thinner. 40% of 9 year old girls have dieted. 80% of 13 year old girls have tried to loose weight. 69 percent of girls grade 5-12 say that magazine pictures influenze there idea of a perfect body. 40 percent of highschool girls claim to be on a diet. 91 percent of femal colledge students have gone on diets. In a survey of 185 female students on a college campus, 58% felt pressure to be a certain weight, and of the 83% that dieted for weight loss, 44% were of normal weight. Nearly half of americans know someone with an eating disorder. 95 percent of anorexics are between the ages of 12 and 25. America needs a doctor to teach her people that beauty is not defined by the scale. America needs a doctor to teach her people that healthy doesnt mean skinny. America needs a doctor to show her people that they are beautiful as they are without plastic surgery and without a diet. America needs a doctor.

Replies

• carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump

My youngest sister is anorexic and has been since she was 13 (3 years).
    It is so sad. She eats maybe 500 cal a day. sometimes nothing. She's pale and boney.
    But you're right. ALLLLLL the advertisements, tv shows, movies, show people who are thin.
    EVERYTHING is about being thin these days.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity, are you having a PSA type night? This is the second thread you've started about "controversial" type things, especially related to the over-skinny.

Everything ok?
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    America needs a doctor. America teaches her young children that they arent beautiful unless they are skinny. america has 8 million anorexics. 50 percent of girls age 13 to 15 believe they are overweight.42 percent of americas 1-3 graders want to be thinner. 40% of 9 year old girls have dieted. 80% of 13 year old girls have tried to loose weight. 69 percent of girls grade 5-12 say that magazine pictures influenze there idea of a perfect body. 40 percent of highschool girls claim to be on a diet. 91 percent of femal colledge students have gone on diets. In a survey of 185 female students on a college campus, 58% felt pressure to be a certain weight, and of the 83% that dieted for weight loss, 44% were of normal weight. Nearly half of americans know someone with an eating disorder. 95 percent of anorexics are between the ages of 12 and 25. America needs a doctor to teach her people that beauty is not defined by the scale. America needs a doctor to teach her people that healthy doesnt mean skinny. America needs a doctor to show her people that they are beautiful as they are without plastic surgery and without a diet. America needs a doctor.

story of my lifeeee...
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options
    out of curiosity, are you having a PSA type night? This is the second thread you've started about "controversial" type things, especially related to the over-skinny.

Everything ok?

haha yes. i was doing some research and i had to do a presentation on something and i choose eating disorders so i just had it on my mind and thought i would psot. i posted this a few days ago in my blog but i think its harder for people to read there. so i posted it here too
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

Everything ok?

haha yes. i was doing some research and i had to do a presentation on something and i choose eating disorders so i just had it on my mind and thought i would psot. i posted this a few days ago in my blog but i think its harder for people to read there. so i posted it here too

Ahh. I understand. But I hope you realize that there's more than just anorexics in the ED category...

And as for your thread topic, I think it's more than a doctor. It's about social pressures. There's a large distrust of the American physician of late. There are a lot of people who think they are smarter than their physician. So, even if the doc says one thing, I highly doubt many will listen.

It's social, media, magazines, tv, music videos...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    On the other side of it, America needs a doctor to teach people correct portion sizes, how to eat something besides fast food and other "junk" and how to get up and exercise too.

I'm sorry, but in the last 20 years or so our society has turned into a morbidly obese society that has a very distorted view of healthy eating, healthy portion sizes, and healthy in general.

After being told over and over that I am too thin now, need to eat a cheeseburger and other derogatory comments about my weight -- I have concluded that since we have gotten heavier we have lost sight of what is a normal, healthy weight and view a lot of thin people as those who have eating disorders, look "sickly" or are generally unhealthy.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    On the other side of it, America needs a doctor to teach people correct portion sizes, how to eat something besides fast food and other "junk" and how to get up and exercise too.

I'm sorry, but in the last 20 years or so our society has turned into a morbidly obese society that has a very distorted view of healthy eating, healthy portion sizes, and healthy in general.

After being told over and over that I am too thin now, need to eat a cheeseburger and other derogatory comments about my weight -- I have concluded that since we have gotten heavier we have lost sight of what is a normal, healthy weight and view a lot of thin people as those who have eating disorders, look "sickly" or are generally unhealthy.

And doctors don't get sufficient nutritional education in medical school. So, how about some medical education reform?

Doctors also are supposed to go according to the food pyramid, which many debate it's validity. Harvard even came up with their own!

We can't pin weight issues on physicians when it's a social issue. Portions are out of control because we Americans have placed more emphasis on quantity over quality.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

And doctors don't get sufficient nutritional education in medical school. So, how about some medical education reform?

Doctors also are supposed to go according to the food pyramid, which many debate it's validity. Harvard even came up with their own!

We can't pin weight issues on physicians when it's a social issue. Portions are out of control because we Americans have placed more emphasis on quantity over quality.

Oh I know. I was just following along with the "theme" of this message.

Americans need to stop thinking that the portion sizes they hand you at restaurants are how much you should eat at every meal. Most of those servings are 2, 3 or even 4 portions with enough sodium for a week.
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    America needs a Japanese accountant! have you seen the economy?!?! we're really good at math!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

Oh I know. I was just following along with the "theme" of this message.

Americans need to stop thinking that the portion sizes they hand you at restaurants are how much you should eat at every meal. Most of those servings are 2, 3 or even 4 portions with enough sodium for a week.

It's all good. Just emphasizing that it's not exactly in the realm of physician for the solution.

It's crazy how much food you get out! I was just having that discussion with my bf @ breakfast. Like McD's kids' fry is what they gave adults back in the 50s. But we now feed that to children?! It's maddening.

Which brings something else up, you think adult portions are nasty? Look at some of the nutrition info for "kids meals" at various "staple" places. *head shake*
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    Its those gosh darn magazines. I swear. Make me doubt myself and my body everyday
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options

EXACTLY! Also, I wouldnt be suprised if those 50% (at least 30% anyway) of 13-15 year olds that think they are overweight, REALLY are!
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It's crazy how much food you get out! I was just having that discussion with my bf @ breakfast. Like McD's kids' fry is what they gave adults back in the 50s. But we now feed that to children?! It's maddening.

Don't even get me started about Americans that actually FEED their kids *ANYTHING* from McD's. Blegh!
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options
    go to a 5th grade class and look in. some are chunky but not half of them need to diet. why cant children be children? they will slim up when the get alittle taller? why do parents tell there kids they need to cut back when the kid is just average and not a tooth pick? whats wrong with being healthy and not skinny even if it goes against the stupid magazines of unrelastic models?