Gym reviews that focus on cleanliness. WTH?

spartan_d
spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
I keep coming across gym reviews online that start out with "It's so clean!" or somesuch rot. Very often, that's the primary focus of these reviews, with little commentary on the equipment or the environment.

Now, I'm not suggesting that cleanliness is unimportant. You certainly wouldn't want to work out somewhere that's a health hazard. Maybe it's just me though, but I find it odd that cleanliness is the main focus of so many of these reviews.

Frankly, I can deal with a gym that's less than pristine clean, as long as it has the right kind of equipment and allows me to perform effective exercises. Heck, if you're working hard outdoors, you're likely to get a bit dirty, so dealing with a little bit of dust inside a gym isn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i've been in some pretty stinky gross dirty gyms , so i can appreciate cleanliness being an important part of a review. Iron is iron, but throwing it around in a clean gym is much nicer than a stinky sweaty dirty gym. What i look for in a gym is location, type of equip it has, and cleanliness.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    I think I would say I more care about air flow that cleanliness. I don't really like a funky smell but I live in the desert where the dust blows so I'm used to things being dusty. As long as there is some good air flow through the building to get rid of the funk (BO, chemical, or otherwise) then I'm fine. Beyond that it is all about the equipment, good equipment in good shape.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    Not to sound rude, but I would guess that most people don't care quite as much about having particular equipment as you or I might, OP.
    90% of people I see at the gym have no idea what they're doing when it comes to resistance training, pretty much just rotate throughsome machine for a few sets, then hop on the treadmill, or vice versa.. and even a lot of people who do lift regularly don't know most of the names for certain exercises or machines.
    If I asked what kind of plates they had or what the knurling was like on their bars, most people wouldn't know. If it's a gym with equipment I think most people are happy.

On cleanliness - I went to a gym while traveling once that smelled so badly of BO I could hardly breathe. Minimal BO is always a plus.

I spend a lot of time working out in various forms & have for quite a while & I had to google knurling. I've never heard of that before your post. Guess I can go home, since I've learned something new today.

Ahahaha.
    Well to certain people something as simple as that matters, while others never give it a thought. I have preferences about dumbbell handles too. Maybe I am just a gym snob lol
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2018
    I guess people just have the things that are important for them. For me, cleanliness is important. My gym literally sparkles most of the time and they are always cleaning and I appreciate that.

Something I don't understand on those reviews is when people talk about being intimidated or judged by the other patrons. I honestly can't comprehend how anyone would care what other people thought of them in the gym, but maybe I just care less than the average person. I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2018
    Well cleanliness is important but you’re right it’s not the top concern of mine. I just left a review of my gym last week actually. I didn’t mention how clean or unclean it was. Negative marks on my gym are that the weight room is small and too crowded. I also see a lot of reviews mentioning “unfriendly staff” sorry but who gives a hoot about that? Not me. And they seem friendly to me anyway.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    We used to attend a really high-priced gym loaded with amenities. They had this one machine (that my wife loved) that was like this lateral trainer. I noticed one day how dusty it was and took my finger and wiped across it. Six months later, when we quit that gym, that finger streak was still there. I'm not a germaphobe, but I've had MRSA before and you can get some nasty stuff at gyms.
  • spartan_d
    I guess people just have the things that are important for them. For me, cleanliness is important.
    As I said, it is important. Making it the top priority to have a sparkling clean gym, though? I have to wonder how such people function in the real world, where most things aren't going to be sparking clean.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited May 2018
    Cleanliness is definitely on my list of things to look at. Amenities/equipment first, then price , then cleanliness and culture. A dirty gym is a poorly maintained one, which is not only unpleasnt, it means that broken equipment will not be replaced or repaired quickly, the staff will probably be mediocre at best to deal with, and will likely not care about addressing issues. Plus I will be more likely to encounter ringworm, athletes foot, mrsa, staph, and various other communicable diseases, that don't happen as much in a clean environment.
  • spartan_d
    Momepro wrote: »
    Cleanliness is definitely on my list of things to look at. Amenities/equipment first, then price , then cleanliness and culture. A dirty gym is a poorly maintained one, which is not only unpleasnt, it means that broken equipment will not be replaced or repaired quickly, the staff will probably be mediocre at best to deal with, and will likely not care about addressing issues. Plus I will be more likely to encounter ringworm, athletes foot, mrsa, staph, and various other communicable diseases, that don't happen as much in a clean environment.
    That's completely reasonable. While I think it's silly to make it the top priority, it should definitely be on the list somewhere, and I'd say that your ranking is entirely well-reasoned.