Quick Question RE:calorie intake

Options
I just started logging food and exercise here.....where it says your daily goal - should you be eating that entirely? I notice alot of people are 'under' their goal for the day when they complete their diary for the day.

Replies

• jjewelty
    jjewelty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less than you burn.
  • AZKAOZ
    AZKAOZ Posts: 35
    Options
    Ok so the software estimates the maximum you should be eating to stimulate weight loss. If you eat less than that, it is better. But if you also eat too little the software will give you a warning telling you that you are a point of starvation that may hinder your progress. I myself have stayed anywhere from 300 to 700 undereaten calories. Since I started I have lost 5 pounds. It wont hurt. :) If you eat the exact amount of calories, you still will lose weight, but slower. That has worked for me, I hope you can find your "groove".
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The calories you are given for the day are exactly what you are supposed to eat without doing exercise. You will notice that exercise will add additional calories that you need to eat to make up for. Your deficit for weekly weight loss should already be calculated into the number, so you should try to eat all of those calories, or as close as possible in order to meet your goals.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    It really depends. My daily goal is just under 2200 calories. but I burned a little over 900 calories working out. so that would bring my daily need up to 3100 calories. But I really can't eat that much. I did eat about 1900 today. I don't need to lose any more weight. But tomorrow morning I'll eat a larger than normal breakfast. But overall I won't get that whole 3100 and I won't lose more weight either. So, it's really all relative to how you workout and how much you eat throughout the day... if that makes any sense.
  • ziggy932
    Options
    Try to eat all your calories, and be honest about your workouts and how much you actually are burning. Yes - you may lose weight faster if you don't eat all your daily calories allotted, but most likely once you lose it you will put it back on. Get use to eating a healthy daily intake + exercise because this is a lifestyle, and not just to fit into the bikini for the summer.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    somehow, not all people are created the same... My metabolism is not great. Infact, it is hopeless. I have always struggled to lose weight since my childhood. I slog and work my butt off (exercise), eat what MFP suggests (1200/day for 1 lb loss) and struggle to lose weight... Whereas my husband, he eats like a glut and does not exc very much (atleast not as hard as me), and yet he still loses weight like crazy (he reached his goal of 10 lb loss in just 4 weeks).

I tried eating 1400 cals, eating my exc cals back, etc.. I ended up gaining weight. So my tip is you need to figure out what works best for you