A Problem of Perspective

Options
I'm beginning the road to weight loss - again - and I come up against the same thing every time I try. I become horribly discouraged while looking at others' stories and goals. I'm 5'7" and weigh 185lbs. I'm full figured (not to mention muscled due to frequent weight-based exercising) and I don't mind the broad shoulders or hips. However, when I see that the 'ideal' weight for my height is 120...or that my BMI places me as 'dangerously obese'...or when I see females my age and height who claim to weigh 130 and moan about NEEDING to lose 15 pounds...I get frustrated! I try to just focus on my figure; how I feel and how I look, not what the scale says, but when those numbers are constantly pushed at you, it's hard to say: "I'm healthy, even if the scale...and the BMI charts...and everyone else...says that those numbers are way too high."

Anyone else have a similar viewpoint problem, or motivation?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Where have you seen 120 as ideal for 5'7 ???? That's silly. I'm 5'3 and 3/4 (call it 5'4) and I am perfectly happy at 130.

edit: Ideal weight RANGE for my height is 116 - 145 according to Weight Watchers.

blessings.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    Hey girl, forget the scale! I'm technically overweight, but I'm like forget it! Its about you being happy with you! Here's a great article about ditching the scale and celebrating your body for what it can do, not its numbers.

http://thedailylove.com/is-your-weight-medically-relevant/
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If you can ignore the numbers for the first 15 pounds, I can promise it will no longer matter to you. You will see the changes in the mirror, and you will be SO happy with yourself that the numbers become obsolete.
    I have my goal set at 140, set by a personal trainer at my gym. But will I worry about getting to 140? Nope, because after losing the first 15 pounds, I was so happy with myself I could have stopped. I was actually happy after just losing 15 pounds, because I could see a difference.
    It's hard, but you really just have to ignore the numbers at first. Focus on your calories, your exercise, and your health. The rest will come with time. :)
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have personally embraced my broad shoulders (maybe it's cuz I'm over 40) so I say, be happy with whatever shape you end up to be as long as you are a healthy mommy for the baby in your profile pic!! Stay postivie!!
  • AZKAOZ
    AZKAOZ Posts: 35
    Options
    LOL BMI does not take into account muscle mass and bones.My BMI has always said obese yet when I did a fat percentage in body test it says I am 23% body fat not like BMI thinks I am 33%. I dont trust it at all :)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I am 5'6" and I think I would look too thin at 120 (for my personal preference).

Also, I started at 185 and am now at a "healthy" weight. I feel like I still have a ways to go, but it can be done. Just start. (:
  • Licacorona
    Licacorona Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Where have you seen 120 as ideal for 5'7 ???? That's silly. I'm 5'3 and 3/4 (call it 5'4) and I am perfectly happy at 130.

edit: Ideal weight RANGE for my height is 116 - 145 according to Weight Watchers.

blessings.

I'm 5'3 as well and I also knew this ^ for ideal weight for me. I cannot imagine you having to weigh 120 being 5'7. I've never been under 135 and that looked good on me as far as I can remember and see from pictures.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    the BMI chart and "obesity" numbers are based on "science" that the government initiated. I'm not an anti government freak or anything like that. It's just that's how those numbers came to be. You are likely very healthy at 185. I was considered obese at 220 and 6'2". It didn't seem realistic at all. And it isn't. Ideal weight is really relative. it really isn't the same for two women that are 5'7"
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of the same issue - I can't imagine myself at the "ideal" weight predicted by BMI.

So I looked at what I weighed at my fittest (ever).....and added 10 pounds. I'm never getting that fit again with a deskjob children, wife and bills to pay. I ended up relatively close to an "overweight" BMI with this as a target, but at least it is realistic.

You should always place more value in what makes you feel good about yourself rather than a statistical number.
  • dmlegacy
    Options

blessings.

I spoke with a military dietitian at my workplace who claimed 120-150 was a 'healthy' weight. I've always thought she was a bit on the crazy side, though. :)

Thank you, everyone, it is nice to know I'm not alone in this mindset.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    120lb to 150lb, so why are you picking the smaller number? i am 5'7" 1/2 and i am 142lb I think i look pretty good. My goal is 135lb.

btw i lost 80lbs 6 years ago went under 130lb. I was too small.