Do you lose twice as much weight if you do low calorie and l

Options
Im on a low carb diet 20g a day and sometimes I have to force myself to eat because I dont get hungry because of a certain medication I have to take..It makes my appetite almost completely go away..But I work out alot...Would I lose more weight if I do both so my calorie intake is pretty low :(

Replies

• AZKAOZ
    AZKAOZ Posts: 35
    Options
    Umm that just depends on your genetics and your daily burnage. I can tell you my experience. I started out with high protein low carb diet myself. I plateaued at 250 pounds. Only until I started counting calories did my plateau go away and I started losing again. Maybe both will work for you, maybe they wont, you wont know until you try. Good luck though :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories, not carbs.

That said, people lose weight initially on low carb diets very quickly for 2 reasons. First, protein is filling...and you eat less calories by default. Second, without the carbs, you lose a lot of water weight. A lot of people who lose weight on low carb diets then start eating more carbs later gain the weight back...even though it is just water lost and gained...but get depressed because of the scale.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Low calorie and low carb? Yeah, you can lose that way, but I would bring up your carbs juuust a smidge. If you're working out, 20g of carbs will not get you through any workout much less give you enough energy afterwards. You can play with your percentages under goals / custom goals... play with it and eat at a certain percentage for a few weeks, see how you feel energy-wise and see if you lose weight, if not, adjust it, and so on.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low-carb (still in induction mode since May 31st, so have been netting around 20 carbs a day) and low-calorie (about 1300 calories a day) and have lost 37 pounds in 2 months. Works for me! I've done low-carb in the past, without doing low-calories and still lost weight, but it took me about 3 months to lose 30lbs (I also wasn't keeping track of my sodium and I think I retained a lot of water because of it)... so I definitely think adding the low-calories to my low-carb way of eating has helped.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It takes a woman nine months to make a baby, but two women can't make a baby in 4.5 months.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    When I was low carbing it 20-40g/day, I felt awesome. I had a ton of energy and I wasn't hungry all the time. Like someone else said, it's from the protein, but also from the higher amount of fats you are probably eating as well.

You can actually end up eating more cals on a low carb diet and still lose weight.

I personally found that low of a carb diet just wasn't sustainable. We're each different, and you might be ok with it. But I think you end up fairly limited.

As for science, data says lower carb is better for weight loss than low fat. Take from that what you want.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It takes a woman nine months to make a baby, but two women can't make a baby in 4.5 months.

Ha! Love it!
  • ashleelopez94
    Options
    Lol awesome!!!! SO TRUE
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

Lmao xD I love you taso
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    When I was low carbing it 20-40g/day, I felt awesome. I had a ton of energy and I wasn't hungry all the time. Like someone else said, it's from the protein, but also from the higher amount of fats you are probably eating as well.

You can actually end up eating more cals on a low carb diet and still lose weight.

I personally found that low of a carb diet just wasn't sustainable. We're each different, and you might be ok with it. But I think you end up fairly limited.

As for science, data says lower carb is better for weight loss than low fat. Take from that what you want.

Yep, I'm never low on energy. In fact, I have more energy than ever before. I've always been sluggish and sedentary, but since being back on low-carb I'm finding it a lot easier to get up and exercise.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 net g's a day, and my calories are anywhere between 1200 and 1600 a day. MFP sets me at over 1600 a day. I'm not hungry and feel great! You do not need to up your carbs, but if you do, add them in slowly (5-10 a week), and eat them from berries and nuts. By the way, the poster who said you won't have energy to excercise at 20 a day is mistaken. I do high-intensity Zumba 2-3x a week and have more energy than ever before!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm also on low carb. You don't want to go below 1200. That would be unsafe. But you really should get a bit more than that, especially on low carb. I'm getting around 1500 a day. And exercise is good, just avoid the really heavy cardio. And don't forget the strength training.

There will always be people who have a negative view of a low carb diet. Just ignore them. This diet isn't for everyone. But it's the perfect diet for some of us.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There will always be people who have a negative view of a low carb diet. Just ignore them. This diet isn't for everyone. But it's the perfect diet for some of us.

I agree. Low carb isn't for me but I certainly don't look down upon those it works for. As long as whatever path someone chooses is healthy (i.e. not starving yourself or using dangerous supplements) and works for them, then so be it.

Watch yourself eating too little...that can completely hinder weight loss and send you into a long plateau if you don't give your body the fuel it needs.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Nice one taso, this made me smile.
    Carbs aren't the enemy... just watch your overall calorie intake and try to hit your macros
  • ashleelopez94
    Options
    In the past I didnt of a problem going back to a sustainable diet :) In fact I still lost weight :) Just trying to get fitter before school starts....