Hello. ^_^

Options
Hi Everybody. ^_^
I just joined the site about an hour ago (already logged in all my meals and exercise for yesterday!)

I'm 27, from Scranton, PA, 246 lbs (boo!) at 5'7". I decided two weeks ago to really take control and lose this weight. I started out too fierce, followed some really bad advice and was only eating 800 calories a day. Thankfully it only took four days of that before I got tired of it . I decided to do more research so I can do this correctly, and learned I wasn't eating nearly enough.

I'm doing better now. For the past week, I've been tracking all of my meals on an app on my phone, but I like this site better. It seems more complete, and it's easier to log my exercise. I'm at the gym every day, I *think* I'm eating correctly, and hopefully this site will help me stay on track. I've heard some awesome things about you all, and can't wait to meet you. ^_^

Hugs!
-Nicole

Replies

• AZKAOZ
    AZKAOZ Posts: 35
    Options
    I just joined too. Glad to have you on here and I hope your goals are reached!
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Thanks! Good luck to you! From the looks of it though, you've accomplished a lot already!
  • AZKAOZ
    AZKAOZ Posts: 35
    Options
    Well I started over a year ago January 2010. But yes I have worked at it. :) I recently got into a plateau that is when I started counting calories and started losing again :)
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I love this site. You get lots of positive motivation here. If you read the Community page everyday, you will find others that are just like you. I'm very happy for you that you are handling this problem now while you are so young. Best of luck! You are welcome to add me as a friend if you want.
  • Marazene
    Marazene Posts: 97
    Options
    This is a awesome site and community!!!

Welcome and good luck reaching your goals...you can add me if you like.

\m/
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    @mabug01 So young? I'll be 28 in 3 weeks and I'm freaking out! :P But I suppose you're right. Better now than later.

I suppose I should have mentioned that you're all free to add me as well. Friends are fun!
  • Naye1223
    Options
    I just joined :) I'm new at this, and I'm positive that this isn't going to be easy for me. However, good luck to you on your goals!!!
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    I just joined :) I'm new at this, and I'm positive that this isn't going to be easy for me. However, good luck to you on your goals!!!

Good luck to you too! It's not easy, no.. but as weird as this might sound, it's sort of like a game for me. Trying to reach a certain amount of calories/fats/proteins/carbs without going over is a little like keeping score. Maybe I'll get annoyed with it after a while (I hope not), but right now, it's actually kinda fun. :)

I feel like I'm having a problem eating enough calories throughout the day, though. Today for example, I didn't quite reach 1200 (I'm supposed to have 1350), but eating when I'm not hungry isn't easy for me to do.
  • BekJ
    BekJ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've just joined also... Welcome!!!
    And it does get easier (the calorie counting), I've been doing it for over a year now, and it becomes a way of life, and less of a chore...
    People always say to me that calorie counting is such a hassle, but then in the next sentence tell me how much weight I've lost... But they never seem to make the connection...
    Stick with it... It's a wonderful ride!!
    And from what I've seen today there's so much support out there!!!

Feel free to friend me and I'll provide all the support and motivation I can...

Bek
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    Be careful about eating too few calories or your body will reserve and you will not lose weight. That seems to be the mistake most people make. Also, treat the experience like you are adapting new habits instead of taking on temporary behavior until you lose the weight. It should make for long lasting results instead of yo-yo dieting.

Watch your sugar and carb intake because both will make you hungry, which doesn't seem to be your problem, thank goodness. If you find that you aren't eating enough, then eat smaller meals and add two small snacks a day. Try adding a low carb, low calories protein shake. There are several that are really good and I have used them for breakfast meal replacement quite a bit and they start my day off nicely.

I've spend hours and hours and hours with nutritionists in my doctor's office and have learned a great deal. I don't always practice it, but I'm good at spouting it out to others. LOL.

Stay positive and don't beat yourself up when you stray. We all stray at some point. Good luck. You're going to do great!
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Be careful about eating too few calories or your body will reserve and you will not lose weight. That seems to be the mistake most people make. Also, treat the experience like you are adapting new habits instead of taking on temporary behavior until you lose the weight. It should make for long lasting results instead of yo-yo dieting.

Watch your sugar and carb intake because both will make you hungry, which doesn't seem to be your problem, thank goodness. If you find that you aren't eating enough, then eat smaller meals and add two small snacks a day. Try adding a low carb, low calories protein shake. There are several that are really good and I have used them for breakfast meal replacement quite a bit and they start my day off nicely.

I've spend hours and hours and hours with nutritionists in my doctor's office and have learned a great deal. I don't always practice it, but I'm good at spouting it out to others. LOL.

Stay positive and don't beat yourself up when you stray. We all stray at some point. Good luck. You're going to do great!

Wow, thanks a lot for that! Because I didn't meet my calorie or protein goals yesterday, this morning I drank a half a bottle (a serving) of a Bolthouse Farms Hazlenut Latte. (10g protein per serving), but the calories seemed high at 170 a serving. It's good, though! LOL.

Do you have any recommendations on protein drinks? I was off on my protein by 12g yesterday. :(
  • scottshuff
    Options
    Hi Nicole,

Welcome to the club
  • hufflepuffin
    Options
    Hello! And thank you! Loving this so far!