Worried about post-goal body shape

Options
So, I've been working out for over a month now and people have noticed a difference already, which is great. I have a few major problem areas like my thighs and stomach. However, I'm wondering.. I'm trying to lose weight at a good pace, like I have my goal set at 1 lb. a week, 5 twenty-minute workouts a week. I'm doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred right now, and before this I was doing Tae Bo and Yoga.

So I'm wondering, I heard that when people get gastric bypass or do insane workouts and they lose weight really fast, they get all that hanging skin. But if I'm losing weight at a normal pace, will that skin start to shrink back on its own with the help of abdominal exercises? Because right now I can tell I have lost some..mass in my stomach and I'm starting to notice that weird kind of indent in the middle of my tummy under my naval that I see a lot of people get when they lose weight and they have guts.

Thanks, sorry this was so long!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs and other than a small amount of skin on my belly - all of my skin has gone back to normal. I suspect the belly skin will get better as I go - since it looks better than it did even a couple months ago.

Make sure to do strength training to help build muscle, drink a lot of water and for me.. I use lotion on my skin EVERYDAY to help hydrate it from the outside. :)
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs and other than a small amount of skin on my belly - all of my skin has gone back to normal. I suspect the belly skin will get better as I go - since it looks better than it did even a couple months ago.

Make sure to do strength training to help build muscle, drink a lot of water and for me.. I use lotion on my skin EVERYDAY to help hydrate it from the outside. :)

Wow you look great! I at least want to lose 60 so I hope it works out for me as good as it seems for you. I'll keep the lotion thing in mind. What kind of strength training do you mean, like crunches and squats?
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is EXTREMELY important. There is also the question of how fast you gained the weight- was it all at once, or slowly over the years?
    Keep doing the ab workouts. They will eventually help your skin, but you just may not see it right away.
  • AZKAOZ
    AZKAOZ Posts: 35
    Options
    SKIN SKIN SKIN My problem too. Is there a solution? YES!

Ok so I lost crazy weight yet my belly still sagged. GUESS WHAT --- -SKIN! So after reading many articles and looking through it, skin tightens only with the use of vitamin E. So eat more meat or direct application. I went to store and got me a Vitamin E Skin Lotion, put it on after every shower. Have lost 2 inches of skin in tummy area and I keep applying daily. Slowly I am tightening that belly skin and on my arms. Try it, it wont hurt. Walmart lotion cost me 4 bucks. It has helped me alot!
  • babylemonade
    Options
    I gained it slowly. I've been overweight my whole life. I just within the past few years reached over 200 (never reached 250 thank god) and I had to do something so I'm down to 228-230 (it varies).
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I think you have a better risk of having it since you're losing weight and exercising so little. Even though you're doing 30DS everyday, you should definitely do cardio afterwards even if it's just a walk, or go to the gym and get on the elliptical, cross ramp, stationary bike, go rollerblading, whatever. Do something that will help build muscle as WELL as get your heart rate up. The more exercise you have, the better your skin will snap back, especially if you're strength training. Also, the more water you get, the more elastic your skin will be.
  • babylemonade
    Options
    SKIN SKIN SKIN My problem too. Is there a solution? YES!

Ok so I lost crazy weight yet my belly still sagged. GUESS WHAT --- -SKIN! So after reading many articles and looking through it, skin tightens only with the use of vitamin E. So eat more meat or direct application. I went to store and got me a Vitamin E Skin Lotion, put it on after every shower. Have lost 2 inches of skin in tummy area and I keep applying daily. Slowly I am tightening that belly skin and on my arms. Try it, it wont hurt. Walmart lotion cost me 4 bucks. It has helped me alot!

ooh good idea. Vitamin E lotion. I have to make a mental note. Thanks!
  • MasterXelcas
    MasterXelcas Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey when you lose a bunch of weight doing what youre doing, (which you will) :) and if you do have a little bit of loose skin all you gotta do is work whatever section with exercises specifically designed to tone said areas and you will be all good. Things that help gain muscle in those areas especially. Love you baby :)
  • babylemonade
    Options
    Hey when you lose a bunch of weight doing what youre doing, (which you will) :) and if you do have a little bit of loose skin all you gotta do is work whatever section with exercises specifically designed to tone said areas and you will be all good. Things that help gain muscle in those areas especially. Love you baby :)

Thanks darling. Love you too :) Just to clear things up, I don't think I'm doing too little exercise either...30DS is NOT as easy as it looks. Why do you think it's compacted into 25 minutes and you're meant to have results after a month? Anyway, I don't spend the remainder of the day sitting on my *kitten*. I have my 2 year old nephew here, I take care of him. He keeps me more than active. His favorite games? Spinning in circles holding my hand and chasing me. And he hates to let me sit down. lol
  • MasterXelcas
    Options
    I know baby, im sitting around all day but I dont have a baby to take care of lol :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Age, pliability of skin and how much you have to lose will dictate it. Normally if you need to lose more than 80lbs. you will have some loose skin. It may or may not retract. The older you are, the lower the chance.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I was up to 215lb when i was 9 months pregnant. I lost 80lbs after that, if i got to small then the skin would sag so i started gaining weight back but check out my before and afters of just this time round i dont have loose skin stretchmarks on the other hand I've got.
  • babylemonade
    Options
    I know baby, im sitting around all day but I dont have a baby to take care of lol :)

lol that was meant for the girl who said I was doing so little exercise.

And you can take care of me when I'm there :D
  • MasterXelcas
    Options
    :)