Raw Peanuts Warning

Options
neillc57
neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
Hi,
I will soon enter the last phase of my diet to lose my last few pounds. I am thinking this is going to be harder than all that has come before.
I consume a significant portion of my calories in a single evening meal consisting of nuts. Roasted salted peanuts are currently my favorite but I have done a fair few other nuts as well.
In order to take advantage of the fact that a portion of the calories in nuts are seem to be excreted I am thinking of shifting to raw peanuts. I like the taste. Of course there are warnings of mold etc.
I see I can get big bags of raw peanuts from a local Indian store. The packet though contains a warning they should be cooked or further processed (packed by a TX company called Spicy World).
I am wandering if Indians typically consume raw peanuts or if they are mostly used for cooking?
Is this warning likely just a standard thing related to the mold issues that nuts have?
I see small bags of raw Spanish peanuts from the local grocery store don't have these warnings.
I am currently eating 6-7oz of peanuts a day so I would get through a lot. That would also be quite a lot of raw nuts and might be problematic if continued for a long time.
Unless I get a real taste for them after eating them for a bit I would probably shift back to roasted after I finish the next diet step.
Thoughts etc?

Replies

• scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hum, not sure. I get raw ones at local health food store with no warnings listed.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat the peanuts raw?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    This is MUD, right?
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    neillc57 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I will soon enter the last phase of my diet to lose my last few pounds. I am thinking this is going to be harder than all that has come before.
    I consume a significant portion of my calories in a single evening meal consisting of nuts. Roasted salted peanuts are currently my favorite but I have done a fair few other nuts as well.
    In order to take advantage of the fact that a portion of the calories in nuts are seem to be excreted I am thinking of shifting to raw peanuts. I like the taste. Of course there are warnings of mold etc.
    I see I can get big bags of raw peanuts from a local Indian store. The packet though contains a warning they should be cooked or further processed (packed by a TX company called Spicy World).
    I am wandering if Indians typically consume raw peanuts or if they are mostly used for cooking?
    Is this warning likely just a standard thing related to the mold issues that nuts have?
    I see small bags of raw Spanish peanuts from the local grocery store don't have these warnings.
    I am currently eating 6-7oz of peanuts a day so I would get through a lot. That would also be quite a lot of raw nuts and might be problematic if continued for a long time.
    Unless I get a real taste for them after eating them for a bit I would probably shift back to roasted after I finish the next diet step.
    Thoughts etc?

Peanuts aren’t actually a nut, they’re a legume and they grow underground and yeah if you’re sensitive to mold you should just avoid them altogether.
  • neillc57
    Options
    Wow you guys are so quick to click on woo that you don't even check your preconceived notions.
    There are quite a number of studies looking at the apparent lack of calories extracted from nuts.
    There are even studies examining excretions to see what isn't digested.
    Here is one I just pulled up with a quick search:

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/78/3/647S/4690007
  • neillc57
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    Peanuts aren’t actually a nut, they’re a legume and they grow underground and yeah if you’re sensitive to mold you should just avoid them altogether.

Since peanut consumption has also had studies conclude that calories are excreted it hardly matters that the typical name given to them is not actually 100% correct.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It really looks as if you're trying to split hairs on the nutritional differences between raw and roasted peanuts.

• neillc57
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It really looks as if you're trying to split hairs on the nutritional differences between raw and roasted peanuts.

I am not sure what you mean. Of course cooked foods have different profiles because they lose stuff like water. This is not the effect I am talking about. I am talking about how heating a food makes the calories more bioavailable.
    It's considered one of the milestones of human development that we learned how to get more from our food by cooking it.
    I don't see why this is controversial here given the evidence.

Even mechanical treatment changes calories. Here peanuts are compared to peanut butter, peanut oil and flower.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rita_Alfenas/publication/5933281_Peanut_digestion_and_energy_balance/links/0deec5320dd6c82c7c000000.pdf

• movementhouse17
    movementhouse17 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Peanuts may be safe to eat raw but do run the risk of a Mold contamination which cooking or processing will kill. Buy from a reputable source if you are going to eat them raw would be my suggestion.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    you eat almost my daily calorie intake in nuts. Im jealous.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    How about mean what you say and say what you mean. If you like raw peanuts and they don’t give you problems, then eat them. If you prefer them roasted and that agrees with you more, then do that.
  • neillc57
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    you eat almost my daily calorie intake in nuts. Im jealous.

Well I am currently eating maintenance calories at close to 2500kcalc/day. On Saturday when I start the restriction again it will drop a little but not by much. I am hoping I don't have to go to 1800kcals/day where I ended up after 90+lbs lost. You maybe smaller than me etc.
  • neillc57
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    How about mean what you say and say what you mean. If you like raw peanuts and they don’t give you problems, then eat them. If you prefer them roasted and that agrees with you more, then do that.

It's just an experiment. I love roasted peanuts but I also like the raw ones just not quite as much. Some people suggest they ended up preferring the raw ones after eating them for a bit as well. No matter what I am eating nuts every single day!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have seen a study comparing chunky peanut butter to smooth where they checked excreted calories and with smooth nearly 100% of the calories were digested but with chunky it was more like 80%. The point was that in some cases the effect of processing food does have a measurable effect. But I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing - if you need the calories, it is more efficient to eat the smooth peanut butter. The calories in the chunky weren't hiding; they just didn't get broken down all the way because they were in physically larger chunks.