Which is a better form of cardio?

Options
I have recently started cardio regularly and was on the treadmill today and realized that I can burn more calories by turning the incline all the way up (15) and walking at normal speed than running at a medium pace at a lower inline (6-8). My heart-rate is the same in either setting but it seems I am putting in less effort walking uphill than running on a semi-flat surface. Which is better?

Replies

• shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Whichever you enjoy more and more likely to stick with on a consistent basis.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    Fast running burns more calories than slow walking, but running and walking at the same speed burns the same number of calories. For instance, if a man walks or runs at the rate of 5 MPH, he will burn about 550 calories in 60 minutes. The number of calories burned always correlates with the intensity of the aerobic activity. But, at lower intensities, you will burn more calories from fat, and so to burn more fat, exercise at a 65% of your maximum Target Heart Rate, which is called the fat burning zone. Overall, it is best to have variety of exercise to stimulate your different energy systems.
  • surfino
    surfino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Whichever you enjoy more and more likely to stick with on a consistent basis.

amazing explanation, i love you!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Running has more impact on joints so that may influence your choice.