Dehydrated during the night

Options
Hello all,

I started my weight loss in January and my sleeping patterns have gradually got worse. I used to sleep all through the night without waking up but now I find myself waking up every night feeling dehydrated. I am drinking plenty of water during the day and try to drink some glasses before bed but regardless I wake up at around 3am feeling dry. This happens every night.

Does anyone else experience this or know of a solution?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I'm wondering the same thing! I may not always wake up at night, but when I wake up in the morning my throat is EXTREMELY dry and my lips are cracked light I haven't had water for days! 0.o
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    i have noticed that when i wake up in the morning the first time(normally anywhere from 5-7) my mouth is like jus ate some saltine crackers dry. i drink about a gallon of water if not more per day and i cant figure it out...its something i have thought about asking my doctor next time i am there...
  • Carol_27
    Carol_27 Posts: 40
    Options
    it might be that your sleeping alot on your back and your mouth is open for several hours, this will dry you out immensely and when, you should consider maybe sleeping on your side. Just a thought, you should a consult a physician about it because it could also be a form of sleep apnea.

This happened to me a few times too (mostly in the winter time) and I noticed that It was because I would wake up in the middle of night and notice my mouth was open and then I would taste more or less sand in my mouth it was so dry and go get water, so I started sleeping on my side and being concious about the open mouth thing and it never happened again.

hope this helps,
    -C
  • jonbairam11
    Options
    Hi, this might be down to the saline balance in your cells..if you are dieting hard and not taking in enough salts...the right ones of course. Your cells may not be able to absorb enough water and therefore you feel dehydrated. Ot if your eating too much salts you could be sucking water out of your cells via osmosis and it wont matter how much you drink you will never get enough.

It could also be blood sugar levels, diabetics often feel very thirsty and this is what makes them go to the docs only to discover they are diabetic.

Or you could just be using so much water in sweating and weeing that you need loads

just my thoughts
    Jon
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I face this problem when I had blocked nose or have cold !! It made me sleep with open mouth which is the reason we woke up thirsty and dehydrated ... !
  • alanaosu
    alanaosu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A few things to watch out for. Firstly your salt intake. Is this high? I had a quick look at your diary and things like the pizza and probably even the apple crisps are going to be high in salt. Don't add any excess salt to your food when coking (or serving). It'll taste weird for the first couple of weeks and then you get used to it and suddenly anything salty will be yuk.

I'd also lay off of the artificially sweetened squash. Fake sugars do all sorts of crap to your system. Try flavouring your water with fresh fruits (put them in a pitcher and leave in the fridge over night).

Also are you sipping water regularly through out the day or necking a large quantity at a time? If you're doing the latter your system will pass a lot of the water straight through.

I'd also swap the orange juice you drink for coconut water. It's super high in electrolytes and is actually more hydrating than straight water. A glass before bed (8oz) helped me when I was waking up feeling thirsty a while back.

You're doing a great job on your journey. The more fresh fruit and veg you can get in throughout the day the better hydrated you will feel also. If you can bear the change swap the white rice for wholegrain and the white bread for wholemeal. There's very little nutritional value in white versions of anything.

Let me know how you get on.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't know about extreme but both my wife & I get a bit dry through the night - we just keep a water bottle each by the bedside - wake up, feel dry - just take a mouthful - it's enough :)
  • daveredfern
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.

I very rarely have salty food, the last week I've eaten out a lot for various reasons. I like the idea of eating fruit as it releases the water over a longer period of time. Coconut milk sounds an interesting idea too!

I go to sleep on my side but I know I move quite a lot in my sleep so there may be a good chance I lie on my back for periods of the night.

I never used to get this so must be related to a change in my diet so going to experiment and if nothing improves will go to the doctors I think.

Thanks,

Dave.