Fodmap

Options
Anyone dealing with Fodmap issues. I am finally admitting this is an issue. I feel horrible when I eat healthy (broccoli garlic, cabbage, etc) so insteading of figuring out what I can eat Ian's be healthy, i just get frustrated and grab a coke and rice crispy treat! Ugh!

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Are you working with a GI or a dietician regarding a low fodmap diet?

There are healthy low fodmap foods and a coke and a rice Krispy treat are likely to cause more of a fodmap flare.

Is it a pain in the *kitten* to eat low fodmap during the elimination period? YES, hell yes but do you want to feel better? Work with a dietician, do the elimination period, do the challenge period, reintroduce high fodmap foods your body can tolerate.

I suggest also getting the Monash app, it is the only app I have ever paid for but Monash University does all the research on fodmaps and keeps the app updated. I also suggest joining a fodmap support group on Facebook or elsewhere. Good luck.
  • Mnaminal
    Mnaminal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been on FODMAP for about 6 months (with guidance from a dietician).

Couldn't figure out my GI issues for over a year... Here I am, adulting, eating tons of veg (usury broccoli, cabbage, snap peas, onion, garlic Brussels sprouts etc)...turns out I'm exploding my intestines. Oops.

I agree that the Monash app is really helpful while out and about. As a quick guide, my current weekly go-tos are carrots/parsnips, zucchini/summer squash, rutabaga, baby bok choy, spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and good old leafy greens.

When I first got started it was a bit of a pain and I had a few lists from my dietician that lived on my fridge. I could dig up which book it was from if you're interested. But it was totally worth it. My issues cleared up in about 5 days and I've been pretty well controlled ever since. I didn't appreciate how much pain I was in all the time until it stopped.
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tks so much. It is frustrating, but I am doing better with it. Thank goodness I love lettuce and green beans.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I have issues with FODMAP as well, and I have narrowed it down to a manageable diet. I stay mostly away from wheat, barley and rye, and limit beans & legumes to a maximum of once a week. I can have the cereals mentioned occasionally in small amounts. Avoiding these foods I mentioned controls my symptoms enough so that I can eat pretty freely other than that.