Cardio and weight gain

Options
Hi guys.

So I gained some weight and decided to go back to working out. I don't think I'm eating more than normal. Usually I go on a low carb debit but this time I don't want to as I usually feel very lethargic o the diet. So I've kept everything the same (I. E my workout diet) just I haven't taken out my evening carbs out. I usually saw that for quinoa.

So it's day 6 today. I do 40 mins cardio on my elliptical trainer and most days I'm hitting my calories goal and don't eat back my work out calories. But for some reason I've not lost but rather gained half kg to a kg. I'm super annoyed as Im used to loosing 2 kg a month. I know you don't see a loss untill a month later but I've never seen a gain either, this is the 1st time ever.

What is going on, any advice anyone?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    b6yx4bko0zrr.jpg
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    nazuknazie wrote: »
    Hi guys.

So I gained some weight and decided to go back to working out. I don't think I'm eating more than normal. Usually I go on a low carb debit but this time I don't want to as I usually feel very lethargic o the diet. So I've kept everything the same (I. E my workout diet) just I haven't taken out my evening carbs out. I usually saw that for quinoa.

So it's day 6 today. I do 40 mins cardio on my elliptical trainer and most days I'm hitting my calories goal and don't eat back my work out calories. But for some reason I've not lost but rather gained half kg to a kg. I'm super annoyed as Im used to loosing 2 kg a month. I know you don't see a loss untill a month later but I've never seen a gain either, this is the 1st time ever.

What is going on, any advice anyone?

What @malibu927 said. Plus, give yourself weeks, not days, to evaluate if anything is working.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It's completely due to water weight and is transitory. Don't panic. And you don't say what your calorie limit on MFP is, but I'd recommend that you eat back at least 50% of the calories you earn with exercise. The MFP calculation takes that into account and you will still lose weight. Failure to do so puts you under your daily calorie goal, and if yours is set particularly low you'll dip below the minimum daily requirements set by MFP.
  • nazuknazie
    nazuknazie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oooo that's interesting. My calorie limit is 1300 set by MFP. I usually am close to this figure most days.

The other thing is that my calories shown on my elliptical trainer is a lot lower than shown on MFP, what shall I do to find out my real calorie burn? I don't a heart rate monitor. I do take my pulse for 15 seconds every now and again and find that I'm avargaing about 140 bpm. Last 10 mins it goes upto 155bpm.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nazuknazie wrote: »
    Oooo that's interesting. My calorie limit is 1300 set by MFP. I usually am close to this figure most days.

The other thing is that my calories shown on my elliptical trainer is a lot lower than shown on MFP, what shall I do to find out my real calorie burn? I don't a heart rate monitor. I do take my pulse for 15 seconds every now and again and find that I'm avargaing about 140 bpm. Last 10 mins it goes upto 155bpm.

Most people never know their "real" calorie burn, they choose a way to estimate and then make adjustments based on their real life results. If you have two different numbers, I would probably go with the lower. Gym equipment is often found to be over-estimating, sometimes by a lot.
  • nazuknazie
    Options
    Yeah I defo go for the lower number just incase it really is that.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That is why I got a Polar watch with a heart rate monitor. I love it! They aren't that expensive and it has been working so far. Good Luck!
  • nazuknazie
    Options
    That is why I got a Polar watch with a heart rate monitor. I love it! They aren't that expensive and it has been working so far. Good Luck!

Thanks ladybug, I'll look into it.