What breakfast is best??

Options
suze1978
suze1978 Posts: 1 Member
I always with struggle with low calorie, high energy ideas for breakfasts. Does anyone have any easy ideas? I don’t want much ha!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to prepare eggs! Scrambled, hard-boiled, soft-boiled, frittata, quiche, egg muffins, etc. Add in your favourite veggies, herbs, meat and cheese for lots of variations.

Greek yogurt bowls. For flavouring, I add flavoured protein powder, lemon curd, jam or honey. Top with berries, bananas, chia seeds, granola, apple slices, whatever you like.

Oatmeal. Same topping ideas as Greek yogurt.

Breakfast sandwiches/wraps.

Low-calorie muffins, pancakes, waffles, bagels. Tons of recipes out there to create lower-calorie versions of these sort of items. Usually with protein powder, egg, coconut flour, almond flour, erythritol/stevia, etc.

All of these items can be as low or high calorie as you like. You can adjust to lower-calorie ingredients or reduce portion sizes.

www.skinnytaste.com is a good recipe website to check out.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I usually have a small tub of Greek yogurt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter & banana
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have a daily calorie allotment that you can spend as you wish. You can eat whenever you want, and eat what you want for every meal. The first meal of the day is breakfast, because you're "breaking your fast". A healthy diet makes you energized. A tasty diet makes you happy. A varied and balanced diet is both healthy and tasty. What's easy depends on context, and is personal and subjective.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    toxikon had so many great ideas for you that I am almost hesitant to post anything further!

But I just wanted to add that there are a lot of "normal" or even prepackaged breakfast items that will work out for a lower calorie breakfast, if you watch the portions. I enjoy frozen "toaster" waffles sometimes. I have one with fruit or sugar-free maple flavored syrup and a little butter, and an egg on the side. Still around 200 calories for the entire breakfast and mixes it up from the typical egg-veggie omelets and Greek yogurt (things I also love).

Plain oatmeal with a little bit of PB&J mixed in is surprisingly good. I find that less than 1 TBSP peanut butter and maybe 1/2 TBSP jam makes it really tasty, more so than adding in a whole slew of other ingredients like brown sugar and tons of fruit. Just an idea!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    For easy and low calorie, cook a batch of hard boiled eggs ahead of time. If one egg is too few calories (it would be for me!), add something like sunflower seeds until you get to your desired calorie target.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Depends on how low calorie youre talking. I usually try to keep my breakfast between 300-500 calories, or so.

For breakfast I like having a low fat, high protein, and modest carb meal. However, I gotta have something sweet in there, or it just doesn't feel like breakfast.

My go-tos are stuff like plain Greek yogurt with fruit or artificially sweetened fruit flavored yogurt and my favorite, cottage cheese with fruit (applesauce, banana, or pineapple).

If I'm eating a late breakfast (brunch) or eating lunch, that's when I'll break out the savory stuff. Its also when I tend to be hungrier and want to eat something more substantial to fill me up. Ill usually have a bunch of veggies, like a big plate of broccoli/cauliflower/carrots with hummus. Or a corn tortilla "wrap/taco" with scrambled eggs with some mozarella and salsa. Or a sandwich with whole grain bread, cheese, lots of lean deli meat, and tomato/lettuce/etc.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter & banana

The answer to most of life's problems.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Leftover pizza is always a good breakfast!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I do this 350 calories brekky M-Fri
    One piping hot bowl of oatmeal with two tablespoons of pb stuck in that get nice and melty. If I could I would eat this for every meal but alas I wouldn't hit my protein goals and be under my calories.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Eggs in all forms are my favorite breakfast, however due to work im making different choices for breakfast...mainly because I don't want the office to smell of eggs :)

Lately I've been having a sandwich of some kind, maybe PB and jam, or soft cheese with jam. Otherwise a Belvita bar (or the store brand) is quick, tasty and only about 250 cals.

In my case, I realized it doesn't matter much for hunger later in the day if my breakfast is 250 or 450. Of course ymmv.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's whatever works for you. And you don't have to eat "traditional" breakfast foods if you don't want to. I often have leftovers for breakfast. That said, what works best for ME is to eat a low or zero carb breakfast with lots of healthy fats and a moderate amount of protein. My go-to weekday breakfast is usually a 2 egg omelette with spinach and mushrooms, 2 pieces of bacon, coffee with Stevia and Coconut creamer.

I also practice Intermittent Fasting several days a week and on those days just have coffee.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Eggs in all forms are my favorite breakfast, however due to work im making different choices for breakfast...mainly because I don't want the office to smell of eggs :)

Lately I've been having a sandwich of some kind, maybe PB and jam, or soft cheese with jam. Otherwise a Belvita bar (or the store brand) is quick, tasty and only about 250 cals.

In my case, I realized it doesn't matter much for hunger later in the day if my breakfast is 250 or 450. Of course ymmv.

Good variety there, but why would the office smell of eggs. I eat mine at home and the smell doesn't reach the office.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I had a banana and some Cap'n Crunch.
  • HealthyTardis
    HealthyTardis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had 1 oz of lucky charms, 1/2 cup of milk, 8oz of coffee and 4 oz of orange juice. I don't care for a huge breakfast.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I ran across something at the hospital last summer when my father had surgery. Au Bon Pan has this fruit and nut tray that I fell in love with, so I started making it at home for my breakfast, with modifications. I have a few apple slices, grapes, babybel cheese wheel, some walnuts, cashews and almonds and a hard boiled egg. I don't eat the yolk (eww), but it is still a little high on the calorie and fat side, but the good ones. I'm strugging getting enough potassium, so might change to pistachios and have a banana to help there. You can adjust the ratio of nuts and fruit to your own personal goals for the meal, but it keeps me full pretty much the whole morning. I make 5 boxes on Sunday for my weekday breakfasts (putting the eggs in their own thing and grabbing one each day). On weekends, we usually go out for brunch or I splurge on a donut with the family. But this works for me.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The skinnytaste protein bagels are really filling and 140 calories if you leave out the egg white. I add a little light cream cheese and a slice or two of either ham or turkey breast. Comes in around 250 calories.

The bagel recipe is below and is really quick and easy to make. In my opinion it tastes like a cross between a bagel and a biscuit but it works and really sticks to my ribs. I generally toast it a bit before consuming. Please note the dough is pretty sticky.

Skinnytaste Protein bagels:
    This easy homemade bagel recipe is made from scratch with just 5 ingredients – flour, Greek yogurt, egg white, baking powder and salt!  No yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer. Bake them in the oven or in the air-fryer!
    Ingredients:
    • 1 cup (5 oz) unbleached all purpose flour or whole wheat
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise)
    • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (use less if using table salt)
    • 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky)
    • 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
    • (optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes)**
    Directions:
    Oven Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
    2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
    3. Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
    4. Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ropes and join the ends to form bagels. (or you can make a ball and poke a hole in the center then stretch it slightly)
    5. Top with egg wash and sprinkle both sides with seasoning of your choice. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
    Air Fryer Method:
    1. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
    2. Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 20 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
    3. Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ropes and join the ends to form bagels.
    4. Top with egg wash and sprinkle both sides with seasoning of your choice.
    5. Preheat the air fryer 325F degrees and set for 11 to 12 minutes. Transfer in batches without overcrowding and bake 11 to 12 minutes, or until golden. No need to turn. Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
    **Toppings may add calories and points.
    Nutrition Information
    Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 1 bagel
    • Amount Per Serving:
    • Calories: 152 calories
    • Total Fat: 0.3g
    • Saturated Fat: 0g
    • Cholesterol: 0mg
    • Sodium: 434mg
    • Carbohydrates: 26.5g
    • Fiber: 1g
    • Sugar: 2.5g
    • Protein: 10g
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I always have eggs and meat
    The boyfriend switched it up and we had a mcmuffin, turkey ham, cheese and egg.
    Yummy.