DOMS- Whats the best to speed up the process

So leg muscle soreness is a *kitten*. What do you do to speed up the soreness process?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Chocolate milk after the workout, light cardio to get the blood moving, full hydration to carry away the lactic acid, and, if you can stand it, massage, rollers to get at the muscle.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Chocolate milk after the workout, light cardio to get the blood moving, full hydration to carry away the lactic acid, and, if you can stand it, massage, rollers to get at the muscle.

Pretty much this. I find that easy cardio, once I can finally get moving, really works the soreness out.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp94xQSqOrM&index=1&t=0s&list=PLEw7Z5686AzkvF49Mg4G5EyiUJX2LIuuM

I've been doing this the morning after an intense workout. It's a good wake up and leaves me feeling pretty good the rest of the day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Adequate, quality sleep.

And then movement.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    For me, I find that forcing myself to work through it and keep moving is the best way. If possible, I try to head to a barre class because, for me, at least, the isometric positions and the whole muscle shake thing is the absolute best way to get it to work itself out.

For half marathon/10K recovery, I just get a massage a week after when I'm no longer acutely hurting. It hurts *during* the massage, but between that and my spikey ball, at least then I'm no longer in significant pain after.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Once gone, not missing the next workout.

Enough frequency for me and I don't get it.

As to helping it go - gentle cardio using it the next day. Though I've never seen it help more than perhaps 8 hrs improvement.

But frankly it's damaged muscle - you did something right, it's got to repair - so good protein, less deficit, depending on how much is sore.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I've never been able to speed up recovery. I can try and stay loose through light activity/walking but as soon as I sit down for a minute the intensity comes right back. I just give my self a little time and make sure I don't do too much that my next workout suffers.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    when its keeping me awake at night....Ibuprofen
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    i thought this was going in a different direction
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Rest.